What's new in 8x8 Meet?
We are introducing the following enhancements and changes in 8x8 Meet:
- Ability to secure meetings by enabling pre-meeting lobby rooms [8x8 Work and 8x8 Meet users]
- Updated icon for your Meetings list [8x8 Work users]
- 8x8 Video Meetings is now 8x8 Meet
Let’s say you’re hosting a confidential meeting, and want to personally make sure that only the intended participants can enter the meeting. You now have the ability to screen who can join your meeting by enabling a lobby room for your meeting; this way, before participants can join your meeting, they must ask to be let in.
In addition, if you want all your organization’s meeting spaces, or all meetings in your personal meeting space, to have lobby rooms enabled by default, contact your administrator to fine-tune your organization’s lobby room behavior.
For details, see our content on enabling moderated lobby rooms for meetings.
If you are an 8x8 Work for Desktop or 8x8 Work for Mobile user, your Meetings list is now marked with an updated icon that better reflects your ability to view and share video while in a meeting!
On 8x8 Work for Desktop:
on 8x8 Work for Mobile for iOS and Android/Amazon:
On the 8x8 Meet desktop and mobile apps, your Meetings list continues to be marked with its previous icon.
Say hello to 8x8 Meet! In recognition of the increased importance of digital tools and changes to how we all work, the 8x8 products and services you work with are getting new names as part of their transformation:
- 8x8 Video Meetings: 8x8 Meet
- 8x8 Meeting Rooms: 8x8 Spaces
- Virtual Office: 8x8 Work
- Virtual Office desktop app: 8x8 Work for Desktop
- Virtual Office mobile app: 8x8 Work for Mobile
- And more!
The following features and enhancements were introduced in previous versions of 8x8 Meet.
New meeting pre-join screen for browser participants [all browsers]: Let’s say you’re joining a meeting via web, and would like to control which of your computer’s audio and video devices are used for the meeting before you join; if joining a meeting via browser, you now see a pre-join screen where you can select your audio and video devices, enter your name, and even copy meeting information to share with other participants if needed!
Ability to share YouTube video without sharing your screen [all apps and browsers]: Let’s say a Marketing representative wants to share their latest promotional video, or you want to share a helpful how-to video with your team; as a participant joining via app or browser on desktop or mobile, you can now share YouTube videos in a meeting without needing to share the rest of your screen!
Ability to control access to moderator settings [8x8 Work, Pro, and Standalone admins]: Let's say your organization regularly runs large webinars, and has strict guidelines on who can choose to mute or hide participant video by default, or control whose video is in focus for other participants; as an administrator, you can now limit guest access to the following in-meeting moderator settings:
- Everyone starts muted: All participants who join the meeting are muted by default.
- Everyone starts hidden: All participants who join the meeting have their video disabled by default.
- Everyone follows me: If the participant who enables this setting selects a person for viewing in the meeting interface, that person becomes visible to everyone else in the meeting.
As an administrator, you can:
Choose whether to restrict in-meeting moderator settings to people in your organization. If enabled, this setting prevents guests from using moderator settings.
Note: This setting restricts moderator setting access only in meeting spaces in your organization's custom domain.
- Allow or prevent people in your organization from choosing to be the only moderator in their personal meeting space. If enabled, people in your organization can access their new option under Settings > Profile.
Ability to brand your team's meeting experience [8x8 Work and Pro admins]: Brand your team's meeting spaces by adding your organization's logo, and add a custom background color or image to enhance your meetings with your organization's look and feel. As a team leader with access to 8x8 Meet admin settings, make 8x8 Meet your own with these new branding capabilities!
Ability to access meeting analytics as an administrator [8x8 Work and Pro admins]: As a team leader with access to 8x8 Meet admin settings, get an overview of your team’s 8x8 Meet usage and quality at any time! Get information on meeting attendance, duration, connectivity, and more!
Refreshed meetings list appearance [desktop apps and browsers]: As a user on your desktop app or via desktop browser, enjoy a new look on your lists of upcoming and past meetings!
Enhanced audio/video device selection within a meeting [desktop apps and browsers]: Need to switch to a better microphone, headset, or camera mid-meeting? While in a meeting via your 8x8 Work or 8x8 Meet desktop app, or via desktop browser, you can select your audio and video devices directly from within a meeting; just click the arrows next to your microphone and camera icons to open a menu with all your accessible audio and video devices!
- Refreshed application interface [Standalone mobile apps]: As an 8x8 Meet Standalone user on mobile, enjoy an updated application interface for a more efficient experience!
- Support for Spanish (Spain and Latin America) and Portuguese (Brazil) [Standalone mobile apps]: As an 8x8 Meet Standalone user on mobile, you can now experience the application in Spanish and Portuguese! Simply change your device language, and the 8x8 Meet Standalone mobile app will align with the selected language.
- Combined speaker stats with participant list in recent meetings [Standalone apps]: As an 8x8 Meet Standalone user, when you open the details of a past meeting under Recents, you now see the speaking time for each participant alongside the participant list.
- Ability to view participant icons in transcripts while offline [Standalone apps]: As an 8x8 Meet Standalone user, while you’re reviewing a downloaded meeting transcript, you now still see participant profile images whether you’re online or offline.
Ability to disable or close meeting preview window [Standalone desktop app]: As an 8x8 Meet Standalone user on the desktop app, while in a meeting, you now have the ability to close the floating meeting preview window that appears when you click outside of the meeting!
Do you want to quickly scan through what was said in a meeting without sitting through a full-length recording, or do you find it difficult to hear what is spoken while you’re in a meeting? You now have the ability to see real-time subtitles for a meeting, and then view a transcript that contains all subtitles generated during the meeting.
Note: At this time, only English is supported for subtitles and transcripts.
Initiate real-time subtitles:
During a meeting in 8x8 Work, or in your 8x8 Meet Standalone app, click Start subtitles to view real-time subtitles of what people say in the meeting.
As long as one or more participants are viewing real-time subtitles, the subtitles are recorded in a transcript, indicated by a TR label in the upper-right corner of the meeting screen. Even if a transcript is already being generated, all participants who want to see subtitles in real time must click Start subtitles for themselves.
Once a meeting with subtitles enabled ends, participants can go to Meetings > Recents, select the meeting, and click Transcription to access a copy of the meeting’s speech transcript for quick reference!
-If a meeting did not have subtitles enabled, participants are not able to access a post-meeting transcript.
-Only portions of the meeting with subtitles enabled are visible in the speech transcript; if subtitles were stopped and later restarted, any speech not captured by the subtitles is not recorded in the transcript.
Ability to track meeting speaker time:
If you’re a meeting presenter or organizer and want to ensure that everyone had adequate time to present their ideas in a meeting, you can now open the details of a recent meeting and check how long each participant spoke. To view meeting speaker stats, go to Meetings > Recents, select the meeting, and click Speaker stats to view the speaking time for all participants!
Note: Speaker stats are only recorded for participants who joined meeting audio.
In a meeting, you now have the ability to share your camera video and your on-screen content at the same time! When you share your video and your screen, your on-screen content appears in the main portion of the meeting window, with your camera video visible to participants in a floating tile in the corner of their screen.