Note: This feature is available to 8x8 Meet users with access to meeting admin settings, and to 8x8 Work administrators via 8x8 Admin Console or Meetings in the 8x8 Application Panel.
For details on 8x8 Meet features available to different user types, click here.
Control access to 8x8 Meet moderator settings as an administrator
Let's say your organization regularly runs webinars, and has guidelines on who can choose to mute participants, hide participant video, or control whose video is in focus for other participants; as an administrator, see how you can limit guest access to moderator settings, and see how your users can access their moderator settings in a meeting.
During a webinar, a participant with moderator access can control the following settings:
The following moderator settings affect all participants after the setting is enabled.
Note: Once enabled, these settings remain enabled only for the duration of the current meeting.
- Everyone starts muted: All participants who join the meeting after this setting is enabled start with their microphones muted to remove background noise, but can un-mute themselves manually.
- Everyone starts hidden: All participants who join the meeting after this setting is enabled start with their video disabled to enhance connectivity, but can share their video manually.
- Everyone follows me: If the participant who enables this setting selects a person for viewing in the meeting interface, that person’s video or shared content becomes visible to everyone else in the meeting.
Let’s say that moderator Pat wants to make sure everyone sees presenter Sam’s video or shared content; If Pat enables this setting, all other participants see what Pat sees in the meeting; Pat can then select Sam for viewing so that Sam is visible to everyone.
- The following moderator settings are actions that can be performed on any participant.
- Mute a participant: If another participant accidentally leaves their microphone on, select the participant’s tile and mute that participant to remove background noise.
- Mute all other participants: If multiple participants leave their microphones on during an individual presentation, select the presenter’s tile and mute all participants other than the presenter to remove background noise.
- Kick participant out of meeting: If a participant must be removed from the meeting, select the participant’s tile and remove them.
As an administrator for your team or organization, you can choose how much access a guest or a user from your organization has to moderator settings.
- If you enable All meetings will be moderated only by participants from this company (enabled by default), participants who join as guests, or log in as users from a different organization, are not able to access moderator settings in a meeting.
- If you enable Allow users to overwrite the default settings for their personal meetings space (enabled by default), a user can choose to become the only moderator in their personal meeting space.
To set meeting moderator settings access as an administrator:
- Go to your 8x8 Meet admin settings:
- As a team leader in 8x8 Meet:
- As an 8x8 Work administrator:
- In your browser, log in with your 8x8 credentials to open your 8x8 Application Panel.
- In the Application Panel, go to Meetings or Admin Console > main menu > Meetings.
- In the 8x8 Meetings settings page that opens, scroll down to the Moderated meetings section. Then, you can:
Choose whether to restrict in-meeting moderator settings to people in your organization. If enabled, this setting prevents guests from using moderator settings, but enables users in your organization to continue using moderator settings.
Note: This setting only applies to meeting spaces in your organization's custom domain.
- Allow or prevent people in your organization from choosing to be the only moderator in their personal meeting space.
If you enable this option, people in your organization can open Settings > My profile and choose whether to be the only moderator in their personal meeting space. For example, even if Robin schedules a meeting using Mel’s personal meeting space, Mel can enable this option to remain the only moderator in that meeting space.
- Save your changes to confirm.
Based on the changes made by your administrator, access to in-meeting moderator settings may be limited:
If your admin enables All meetings will be moderated only by participants from this company, participants who joined as guests, or logged in as users from a different organization, are not able to access moderator settings in a meeting.
Note: If you join a meeting as a guest rather than as a signed-in user in your organization, this may impact your access to moderator settings.
- If your admin enables Allow users to overwrite the default settings for their personal meetings space, you can choose to become the only moderator in your personal meeting space.
See how you can control moderator access for your personal meeting space, and how you can access moderator settings in a meeting.
- Go to Settings > My profile.
In your profile settings, enable or disable the option to be the only person with access to moderator settings in your personal meeting space. By default, this option is disabled.
Note: This setting only shows up if allowed by your administrator.