Analytics for 8x8 Work: Previous Releases
Check out the features and enhancements introduced in the previous releases of Analytics for 8x8 Work.
We have introduced the following features along with key usability and performance improvements in the Virtual Office Analytics 2.1 release:
Introducing the Call Record
The Call Detail Records report offers detailed information about all voice calls, from simple internal calls to complex multi-legged calls, such as calls that are answered by an auto attendant, offered to multiple extensions at once in a ring group, are sent to voicemail, and more. . Previously, detailed call information was only offered as Call Legs, with each call leg presented separately.
Let’s say you are reviewing call details of a transferred call, it is currently presented as two individual call legs with detailed call data. While the individual call leg metrics are quite helpful for investigation or analysis, they can be challenging to consume. For example, if you want summary values by call for metrics such as total talk time or total ring time of the entire call, you would need to sum up those time metrics of the two individual call legs. With the introduction of Call Record, you can get the consolidated data in a simple click.
- Log into Virtual Office Analytics.
- Go to Call Report > Call Detail Records from the menu. The Call Detail Record launches.
- In the header, notice the toggle for Call Record. It is enabled by default.
- If you wish to view detailed call legs (formerly the default view), disable the toggle for Call Record.
Introducing New and Improved Reports
In this release, the most recent phase of our migration to our new analytics platform, we have migrated and enhanced two existing reports and are offering them as beta versions. Each report contains the same metrics offered on the legacy reports, with significant improvements in usability and performance.
Enhanced Company Summary (beta)
With the enhanced Company Summary report in beta, you can now enjoy:
- Easier and faster reporting
- More flexible metric comparisons
- Easy access to relevant call records and call legs
To access the Company Summary beta report, go to Call Report > Company Summary (Beta) from the menu.
Reports on the new analytics platform (Call Detail Records, Company Summary (beta) and Extension Summary (beta) now share the same Date Picker, which enables the date range selected to be retained across those reports for that login session. Pick your date range once and simply run all new platform reports without having to pick your date range each time. Let’s say you run all your reports Monday to Thursday weekly, select your custom date range in one report and retain it across all other reports for that session.
If your company runs a multi-PBXPrivate Branch Exchange—a private telephone network used within a company. phone system, gathering call data across all the PBXs now just got easier! In the header of our new reports, you can now choose which PBX you want to report on with a simple pull-down selection.
Select the desired metrics to track and customize the dashboard to suit your business needs.
As you are reviewing Company Summary or Extension Summary reports, where you may be reviewing a particular date range and/or applied filters, you may want to dig deeper and review the specific call details of calls being summarized. Previously you had to visit the Call Detail Records report and search once again for this data. Now, you can choose to view or download the detailed call data, either as Call Records or Call Legs for the displayed summary - without exiting the Company Summary or Extension Summary reports.
Enhanced Extension Summary (beta)
The new Extension Summary (beta) shares many of the same enhancements as Company Summary (beta), such as:
- Improved date picker
- Easier access to multi-pbx reporting
- Integrated call detail - Call Records or Call Legs
- Interactive charting
- Addition of first name and last name of the extension user
To access the report, select Call Report > Extension Summary Beta from the menu.
Enhanced Scheduled Report Emails
The Scheduled report is now enhanced to include Intraday reporting, which allows you to restrict the report to only certain hours of each reporting day. For example, Iif your company’s business hours follow shifts and you wish to track the call traffic during your late evening shift say 3 pm - 10 pm, you can choose the Intraday date range.
From the menu in the header, select Schedule Report Emails (New) option. In the following window, select Create new report to begin creating a new report.
Flexible scheduling: Whether you want to track the call traffic daily, for the past week, or for only the night shift each M-F, you can do it all using the new flexible scheduling options in the Schedule reports.
Improved Business Hours report: Tracking call volume business hours
Do you want to compare the incoming call volume for your most important DIDDirect Inward Dialing numbers/Extensions between business hours and after business hours? If your company is typically staffed to answer calls from 8 am to 5 pm, but you want to know if the call volume after hours warrants additional staffing, then look at the enhanced Business Hours report. Check out the call volume during the specified business hours and after business hours in percentages, sorted by the biggest opportunities.
Additionally, we now display the aggregated metrics such as the total number of inbound calls, number of calls during business hours, after business hours, and % of calls received after business hours.
If the percentage of calls after business hours exceeds 25%, we will alert you by displaying the percentage metrics in bold red font.
To access the Business Hours report:
- Go to Business Hours from the menu.
- Select the desired date to view data.
- If you have not configured your company’s business hours, click Configure in the Business Hours box in the header.
- Select the business hours and save.
- Click to apply the filters. The report data is displayed.
Introducing the Company Summary API
In addition to the Call Detail Records (CDRCall Detail Record includes call details such as point of origin,end point, call direction, call duration, and more. API), Extension Summary (ES API) and the Meetings API, VO Analytics now offers a Company Summary API. If your company has the need and the technical chops to retrieve your call data using this on-demand method, for example you may want to create your own custom dashboards, or integrated directly with your CRM, you can now also leverage our Company Summary API. For documentation, click here. For more information and an API Key, please reach out to your 8x8 representative.
Enhanced PDF Reports
With the enhanced PDF reports, you can now access additional metrics such as the total number of answered, missed, abandoned calls along with outbound calls and extension to extension calls. The report also includes the first and last names of each extension user.
End of Life Announcements
Company Summary and Extension Summary reports: With the introduction of these new reports, Company Summary (beta) and Extension Summary (beta), we plan to announce the deprecation of their legacy counterparts over the next 60-90 days. Please check out our beta reports, give us your feedback, and prepare to migrate to the new reports.
Legacy Scheduled Reports: Now that we have added Company Summary to our new Scheduled Report Emails platform, we will be announcing the phasing out the legacy Schedule Reports in the next 60-90 days. Scheduled Report Emails now includes Call Detail Records, Extension Summary and Company Summary reports. We plan to support the new scheduled report for other reports over the next several releases. So please check out the new Scheduled Report Emails and begin to migrate your legacy reports to the new more flexible platform.
In this release, we have introduced an enhanced version of scheduled reports which will allow you to schedule Extension Summary and Call Detail Records (CDR) reports. The new enhanced scheduled report offers you the flexibility to:
- Schedule and generate reports at a user-specified timezone
- Deliver the report via email as CSV or PDF attachments
- Email the report as often as the user wants - daily, weekly, monthly, first day of the week, or the first day of the month and more.
To access the new scheduled reports, click the header menu next to your name. From the drop-down list, select Schedule Report Emails (New).
NOTE: The new scheduled report does not support scheduling Company Summary reports.
The new Schedule Report supports Extension Summary reports and Call Detail Records reports. In this release, we do not support the company summary report.
- Custom timezone for the scheduled report: Select your preferred timezone for the scheduled report and no longer be tied to the PBX timezone.
Ability to reactivate reports: You can now reactivate reports which you have marked as inactive. Marking a report inactive stops generating and delivering the report to the scheduled recipients.
Simply click to mark a report inactive. Once marked, the report gets listed in the Inactive tab.
To reactive a report, click . Find it in the Active tab.
- Improved accessibility of Cross-PBX CDR reports: Scheduling CDR reports across PBXs is now enabled within the scheduled report. You do not have to enable it under Settings anymore.
- Report date range now allows you to generate reports for yesterday, last 7 days, last 30 days, and last month.
- Email Frequency: Allows you to schedule reports via email daily, weekly, monthly, first day of the month, and Monday- Friday. These options come in handy to meet your reporting needs. You can also specify the start and end date for receiving the scheduled reports.
- Ability to email scheduled reports to unlimited recipients: You can now email the scheduled report to any number of recipients. Simply enter a valid email address and hit enter.
- Add custom email subject and message: Use the default subject or add a custom subject and write a brief message to be sent to the recipients for better user experience.
- Attach reports as PDFs: You can now choose to email reports as PDF files, CSV files, or in both formats. The user-friendly PDF format provides quick insight into top incoming calls by extension, site and department..
- Updated security: The email will continue to include a link to access the report, which will now expire after seven days. Additionally, the email will now include the report as an attachment, provided it does not exceed 6mb in size. Archived reports will continue to be available in VO Analytics.
Here are some use cases that demonstrate the improved usability of the new scheduled reports.
Use case 1
Bob, a site supervisor for Acme Lumber’s Denver office, needs to include call data from VOA Extension Summary report in his weekly status report each Friday. Instead of logging in to VOA each week, Bob schedules a Scheduled Email that will generate a weekly Extension Summary report, each week beginning this Friday, for the previous 7 days, using US/Mountain time zone (his corporate office is on CA, so his PBX’s Analytics default time zone is set to US/Pacific), and sets a filter that limits the data for that report to ‘Site = Denver’. Each Friday Bob will receive the report he needs, already limited to the data he cares about, presented in the proper timezone.
Use case 2
Susan, the VP of Acme’s Support department, is located along with her team in NY, and on weekday mornings she needs to see Call Detail Records for all inbound calls from the day before, so that she can work with her team to optimize coverage. Susan schedules daily Call Detail Records reports, scheduled for M-F, and uses filters for ‘Department = Sales’ and ‘Direction = Inbound’, using the US/Eastern time zone. Each weekday morning she will have the details she needs in her Inbox.
Use case 3
Fred, the Sales team admin at Acme, needs to provide weekly updates to the senior Sales executives regarding call activity for his Inside Sales and Outside Sales departments, but only needs to share Inbound Call rankings by Extension and by Department, and doesn’t want to have to download the detail and prepare an easily-consumed custom report for them each week. Instead Fred schedules an Extension Summary report, using the PDF-only option, applying 2 department filters (Inside Sales and Outside Sales), and including the sales team’ group email address on the To: field. Each week the sales executives will receive a PDF report that includes Top Inbound Calls by Extension, Department and Site for his team, and it will be attached to the email and will not require any VOA authentication.
End of Life Announcement
The legacy call detail record report is now deprecated. It is replaced with the enhanced Call Details report.
In this release we have introduced the following features, along with key usability and performance enhancements:
Enhancements in Call Detail Records Report
You now have the ability to access all of your CDR data in one report! We have removed the 20k record limit on screen and in downloaded reports. You can now search and access the entire set of call detail records without any upper limit, and filters are applied to the entire results set.
Timezone Based Reporting
In the new Call Details Report, you now have the ability to select a custom timezone for your report.
We have also introduced improvements in the ease of use and performance. No matter how big your CDR report is, we will present it to you at warp speed.
We made frequently used options/features easier to find to make your experience more intuitive and faster.
- Date filter: The date filter has improved and is now located on the desktop. By default you can view today’s data. It’s quicker and easier to set the desired date range.
- Time Zone and Simplified CDR: Access the time zone and Simplified CDR options with a simple click.
- Add Columns: Now it’s easier than ever to add additional data to your report. Simply click and select the columns you want to include on screen and in the downloaded report.
- Download button: Download the CDR report by clicking . The download button is now always available at the top right corner of the page.
Refresh search is now embedded in the search. Simply click the search button to refresh.
Enhanced Search Capabilities
- New tile-based search experienceI
Improved filtering capabilities: We have introduced the following filters:
- Direction (Internal): Allows you to view just the extension-to-extension (Internal) call traffic.
- Site: Allows you to access call records for a specific site. (previously Branch)
- Account code: Allows you to access call records for specific account codes used in your organization.
- Search for any keyword, and build upon your filtered query, to find just the records you need.
- Add up to eight keywords for a boolean OR search.
- NOTE:We have a three character min for keyword search.
What has Changed?
Default Data Columns: In the CDR report, you cannot delete any of the default data columns from the display, but you can add more fields to the display. Simply click and select all columns or desired columns to view and click Search.
Improved presentation of call details: Simply select any call in your CDR report and click the call ID. The call details show in a dedicated panel that pops to the right.
Enhanced Computation of Wait Time of Queued Calls
In the Queue Call Data dashboard, the wait time in the queue now offers data for abandoned calls in addition to the calls that were answered by an agent. If callers abandoned calls while waiting in a queue, but before being answered, you can now view how long they waited. This helps in understanding the wait time in queues and thereby allows making decisions on staffing.
Calls directed to a queue do not display wait time when:
- No call queue member is logged in
- No voicemail is set up for the call queue
These calls are not placed in the queued state.
Introducing the Percentage of External Answered Calls
In the Extensions Summary report, you can now access the percentage of answered external inbound and outbound calls handled by extension users.
This data is available in scheduled reports and downloaded reports as well.
We have introduced a few usability improvements in the application.
Employee Status report: In this report which displays current active status of the employees, you can now apply a filter and easily reset by simply selecting All.
- Better accessibility of the metric selector: In the Extension Summary dashboard, the metric selector has been moved from the top of the page to closer to the extension summary data table for better accessibility.
We have introduced the following enhancements in this release:
- Introducing the Business Hours Report:Have you ever wanted to track the call traffic during business hours of your company? Accessing the call volume during the peak hours of your business helps you with staffing decisions. With Analytics for 8x8 Work, you can now generate a report based on specific business hours you have stored. You can also download the report in CSV format.
- Improved date range filters for Calls by DID: In the report for DID calls, you can now filter data for the past 7 days, 30 days, and more. We have Introduced more date range options for filtering data.
- Refreshed new look for Virtual Office Analytics: Whether you are monitoring call traffic or call quality or device status, you will certainly love the new refreshed user interface with a new color palette and updated icons. Please note that we have kept all our functionality workflows intact so there is no learning curve for you.
- Enhanced user assistance for Virtual Office Analytics: Looking for help using Analytics for 8x8 Work? Simply click the help link at the top right corner of every page of the application, access context sensitive and informative help content and check out the glossary tailored to the report you are accessing.
- Improved filtering of data in the Call Detail Report: With improved visibility and usability of the filtering option, you can dig the call details easily. Previously, the filtering option was a drop-down option. It is now easily accessible via the filter icon .
- Enhanced data presentation in Ring Group and Call Queue List reports: While comparing call traffic, accessing call time, or call distribution information of ring groups or call queues, access the data presented in histogram charts with better readability. Earlier, we used to have bubble charts that presented some readability challenges.
We have introduced the following enhancements in the Analytics for 8x8 Work 1.0.3 release:
Ability to Report on Talk Time Using Account Codes
Businesses that have individual billable customers need to access their call time with each client for billing purposes. For example, Law firms typically bill their clients based on the talk time with each client. 8x8 now introduces account codes whereby you can specify an account code for each client. While dialing a client number, callers may be prompted to enter the account code, which can later be used to report on the talk time thus allowing billing. The Call Detail report now displays the account codes which can be sorted to fetch the talk time.
Limited Availability: This feature is currently in limited availability. To access this feature, contact 8x8 Support.
Ability to Track the Call Path in Auto Attendants
Auto Attendants help callers self direct themselves to the desired destination without the aid of live receptionists. Businesses need to understand the call path of their customers when they call into their company numbers to ensure the effectiveness of the auto attendants in directing callers to the right destination.
Using the auto attendant, did the caller reach the desired destination or land in the wrong place? Did they drop the call before getting connected due to unclear options? How many callers landed in the voicemail? Tracking the Auto Attendant options chosen by a caller helps you analyze the effectiveness of the Auto Attendant, and troubleshoot flaws in its design. This also provides insight into the most commonly treaded paths in your company's auto attendant.
The Call Detail Report now provides visibility into the Auto Attendant options taken by the caller. For example, If a caller pressed 1 for English in the main menu, followed by 2 to be directed to the Sales department, and finally opted to leave a message to the Sales representative by pressing option 0, the CDR report shows the auto attendant options and the respective names separated by commas.
Example: 1 (English),2 (Sales),0 (Voicemail)
Caller and Callee Numbers in E.164 Format
We now support global display of phone numbers and ensure all numbers follow the E.164 format. For display purposes, US phone numbers are shown in the US format while phone numbers from other countries are shown in the E.164 format.
Cross-PBX Call ID
In Analytics for 8x8 Work 1.0.2, we introduced cross-PBX scheduled reports which included separate metrics for Call ID and PBX ID. Since the Call ID was unique only within a PBX, we have now introduced a new Cross-PBX Call ID metric for the convenience of customers who have a cross-PBX phone system. The Cross-PBX Call ID is unique and a concatenation of the PBX ID and the Call ID.
The previous version of the report provided the following two metrics:
- Call ID: 1515651536838
- PBX ID: 8x8
The new report offers a call ID unique to the Cross-PBX environment.
Call ID: 8x81515651536838
We have introduced the following enhancements in this release:
Ability to View Simplified Reports
We have introduced an option that allows users to access simplified dashboards. The simplified dashboard shows a summarized version of the metrics, and eliminates "total abandoned" metrics and "total time" metrics such as total call time, total ring time, and total talk time. The simplified reports are available in the Company Summary and Extension Summary dashboards.
To enable simplified reporting:
In the upper-right corner of the application header, click the arrow next to your name. The drop-down menu offers a new option for Configuration (disabled by default), which allows you to enable simplified reporting.
Note: Please note that this toggle impacts all users viewing Analytics for 8x8 Work for this PBX. Check with your administrator before changing this setting.
Ability to Generate Cross-Phone System Reports
Cross-phone system scheduled reports are now introduced for the Call Detail Records (CDR) report. You can now schedule and download reports across multiple phone systems. If your company phone system runs on a cross-phone system environment, this new capability streamlines the reporting across multiple phone systems.
To enable cross-phone system reports:
- In the upper-right corner of the application header, click the drop-down menu next to your name.
- From the drop down menu, click Configuration.
- Enable Cross-PBX CDR Schedule Report.
Introducing Data About Last Leg Disposition
In the call detail records (CDR), we now offer data that provides insight on the disposition of every call. Was the call answered, missed, or abandoned by the caller? You can look at the last leg disposition information in the CDR to track the call handling efficiency of agents, as well as understand your staffing needs.
In the CDR report, the last leg disposition offers the following results for the last leg of every call:
- Answered: This indicates the call connected to a live speaker with talk time greater than 0:00.
- Missed: This indicates the callee is alerted, but did not reach voicemail.
- Abandoned: The call is hung up before the callee is alerted.
- Voicemail: The call reaches voicemail. This does not indicate whether the caller left a voicemail.
- N/A: This value indicates it is not the last leg of the call.
For example, the last leg disposition helps to track:
- Lost opportunities (total number of calls that were abandoned and missed).
- Callers to follow up with (total number of voicemails).
- Total number of calls not received by an agent (Abandoned + Missed + Voicemail) to help with business decision making on staffing.
This helps you understand if the callee had an opportunity to answer the call (Missed) or not (Abandoned). This can be also used to determine how many calls dropped in the auto attendant. If the last party the call was routed to was the auto attendant and the Last Leg Disposition indicated the call was abandoned, it means the caller dropped during the auto attendant.
In this release, we have simplified a few dashboards by removing metrics that were confusing to users. We have also streamlined some key metrics:
- Company Summary: We have removed "total abandoned" metrics and total time metrics such as total call time, total ring time, and total talk time. The inbound call data (such as total inbound calls, answered, and missed) are grouped together in the new Inbound Summary tab.
- Extensions Summary: In this dashboard, we have removed total abandoned metrics and total time metrics. We have introduced a new data chart for Branches along with Departments, allowing you to review the call activity summary at the branch level.
- Ring Group Dashboard: A new filter is added to select the ring groups you are interested in. To select the desired ring groups, click in the upper-right corner, and select the desired ring groups.