What’s new in the 8x8 Admin Console 1.28 release?
We have introduced a new feature and a few feature enhancements in this release:
- Introducing 8x8 Password Policy
- Setting up 8x8 Password Policy
- Enhanced filtering of user reports
- Enhancements in Ring Groups
- Setting up a voicemail pin for users in bulk
8x8 Password Policy defines a mechanism for securing user accounts. The policy offers a set of password rules for enhanced security. The rules, set by administrators, encourage users (administrators, end-users, agents, and supervisors) to employ strong passwords, and ensure proper usage and account protection.
Note: The 8x8 Password Policy applies to authentication via 8x8 login credentials only. They do not apply to Single Sign-on integration with Identity providers such as Okta or Microsoft Azure AD.
- Timed password expiration forcing a periodic password change.
- Password history to remember a specified number of previously used passwords which prevents re-use.
- Minimum password length of 8-25 characters.
- Password complexity requirements, such as a mix of alphanumeric characters or a mix of upper and lowercase alpha with numeric characters. Special characters can be optional.
- Invalid login attempts locking users out temporarily.
- Account lockout for a specific time or until reset by the administrator in case of invalid login attempts.
- Password reset for any user at any time. An administrator can initiate the password reset that sends an email to users.
Learn more about how to access and set 8x8 Password Policy.
With new filters for user status, you can now filter deactivated users and view only the active users in the user report or vice versa.
- From the menu, go to Users.
- From the filters on the left, select Deactivated to view the list of deactivated users.
- Click Generate User Report to download the filtered report.
- To check if the user is active or deactivated, select User.Deactivated field to access the data in the report. In the report, the field indicates Y for deactivated or N for active.
You can now set the number of cycles for ring groups from 1 to 20 times. This means calls directed to a ring group cycles N times before being forwarded to voicemail where N=1-20. Previously, you could set the number of cycles to 0 which forwarded the call to a selected destination such as voicemail without even cycling once. As this is not the intended behavior, we now allow a minimum value of 1 for Cycles.
Note: If you have ring groups set to cycle 0 times, they will skip the cycle and forward calls to the desired destination. After this release, if you reset the value, you will be prevented from setting it back to 0.
We have fixed a label and enhanced the user experience while defining or editing ring groups. One of the External caller ID options - Ring Group Name and Dialed Number, is now correctly labeled to show the ring group name (Sales team) and the number dialed by the caller (1-888-334-3222) which may or may not be the ring group number. This contrasts with the option - Ring Group Name and Ring Group Extension, which always displays the ring group extension and not the originally dialed number.
While editing user settings in bulk, you are allowed to set a voicemail pin for multiple users at once. The voicemail pin authenticates users to listen to their voicemails. This setting had an erroneous behavior previously which is now fixed.
What’s new in the 8x8 Admin Console 1.27 release?
We have introduced the following feature enhancements in this release:
Ability to link Switchboard Pro greetings to phone numbers
In this release, you can link Switchboard Pro greetings to phone numbers rather than users. Greetings are short text messages that are associated with a destination phone number. When a call comes in to that number, the greeting text pops up on Switchboard Pro so that the Receptionist can greet the caller appropriately before directing the call to the intended user or department. We have also introduced the option to associate the greeting with a site so that the directory listing seen by the Receptionist can be auto-filtered to entries from that site when a call comes in to that number. This helps in navigating the list quickly and identifying the contact.
To add a greeting to be accessed in Switchboard Pro:
- Log in to 8x8 Admin Console.
- Go to Home > Switchboard.
- Click + Add greeting.
- Select a phone number from the list of available numbers. The greeting will be linked to this phone number. When a call comes into this number, the receptionist can view this message and greet the caller appropriately.
- Select a site to auto-filter the phone numbers in the contact directory to entries from that site so that the receptionist can quickly navigate through the filtered list and direct an incoming call. This is optional.
- Add the greeting text. Click Save.
When an incoming call is received by a receptionist on the Switchboard Pro for this number, the greeting message pops allowing the receptionist to greet the caller appropriately.
Click Generate greetings report to get a consolidated report of all greeting messages associated with phone numbers and corresponding users.
Switchboard Pro greetings do not automatically move from a temp number to ported number on post-port activation; The suggested workaround is to manually recreate greetings as required.
Enhancements to User Report
We have introduced two new fields to the user report.
- Additional voice numbers: Displays additional voice numbers assigned to a user apart from the primary number.
- User: external identity provider: Displays if the user was created from an external identity provider such as Okta or Azure. The value is empty if the user is created in 8x8 Admin Console.
In the user record, the label for personal contact address is now labelled as Personal Address to clarify that this is not the emergency address.
The user interface for filtering role assignments by user name is now updated allowing you to search and find the role assignments by user name. You can search by multiple names.
What's new in the 8x8 Admin Console 1.26.2 release?
We are introducing the following enhancements and changes in the 8x8 Admin Console 1.26.2 release.
Enabling users to select shared numbers in caller IDs
In this release, we are enabling users to select Call Queues, Ring Groups, and Sites as caller ID if they belong to the site and are a member of those groups.
Previously, you could share the site main number as the caller ID for all users across all sites. In this release, we have fine tuned it to be available to only users assigned to that site. If John is assigned to the New York site, the site main number for New York is available to be shared as the external caller ID for John. For each site, you can share the site main number as the caller ID.
To share the site main number as the caller ID:
- Log into 8x8 Admin Console.
- Go to Sites. Select to edit a site from the list.
Under the Voice Service Settings, enable Share Main Number as Caller ID.
The site main number is shared for caller ID with all users belonging to the site.
- Save the settings.
In this release, we have added the capability to share the call queue and ring group phone numbers as external caller ID. This is available to only the members of the call queues or ring groups. If John is a member of Tier 1 Support call queue, the call queue number is shared as a caller ID for John. In responding to callers on this queue, John can set the call queue phone number to be his caller ID and further customize the display name in the caller ID. This helps customers in identifying the call source.
To share a call queue number for caller ID:
- Log into 8x8 Admin Console.
- From the menu, go to Work Groups > Call Queues.
- Select to edit a call queue from the list.
- In the External Caller ID section, enable the option to Use Caller ID.
Edit the display name as needed and save the settings.
The shared number of work groups appear in the users’ caller ID choices.
- Follow a similar procedure for ring groups.
The Call Recordings page title is now changed from Call Recordings to Recordings. This change is introduced in anticipation of the extended support to access chat recordings in a later release.
See our content for all Previous releases.