Set up Line Keys (Power Keys)
8x8 Line Keys (also known as Power Keys) offers additional functionality to your phones. It provides powerful call handling and call monitoring abilities using any supported phone with four or more Line Keys. You can take full advantage of the spare Line Keys on your Polycom phones and additional Line Keys added via sidecars. With 8x8 Line Keys, a manager or a power user can handle multiple calls simultaneously and monitor the availability of other users on the same phone system. As a 8x8 Work phone system administrator, you can configure Line Keys from 8x8 Admin Console, and push these settings to the Line Keys-enabled extension phone.
To take advantage of 8x8 Line Keys, you must add and configure Line Keys for each user from the user profile. A device that supports Line Keys must be assigned to the user profile and activated. For details, see our 8x8 supported phones for Line Keys.
Note: LAKs, SLAs, and BLFs must be added from the 8x8 Admin Console and pushed to the phone device. Speed Dial keys, however, can be created on both 8x8 Admin Console and phone devices. The updates are communicated both ways.
By going to Line Key configuration in the User's profiles, you can configure and access the following features:
- Line Appearance Keys (LAK)
- Busy Lamp Fields (BLF)
- Shared Line Appearance keys (SLA)
- Speed Dial keys
With 8x8 Line Keys, you can configure and setup additional keys on a hardware endpoint or sidecar such as BLFs, SLAs, and speed dials.
See the feature list for 8x8 supported keys below:
|Line Appearance Key (LAK)||
|Busy Lamp Field Key (BLF)||
|Shared Line Appearance Key (SLA)||
|Speed Dial Key||
- Only activated and 8x8 supported phones can be configured with Line Keys.
- 8x8 supports Line Keys on multiple sites within the same phone system (PBX). The Line Keys associated with the service extensions or users must be within the same phone system.
8x8 Supported Phones and Number of Line Keys
|Phone||Number of Physical Line Keys on the Device|
|Polycom VVX 150||2|
|Polycom SoundPoint IP 550, 560||4|
|Polycom VVX 300, VVX 301, VVX 310, VVX 311, IP 670||6|
|Polycom VVX 400, VVX 401, VVX 410, VVX 411, VVX 500, VVX 501||12|
|Polycom VVX 600, VVX 601||16|
|Polycom Skyline VVX 250||4|
|Polycom Skyline VVX 350||6|
|Polycom Skyline VVX 450||12|
|Cisco IP Phone 7821||2|
|Cisco IP Phone 7841||4|
|Cisco IP Phone 8811, 8841, 8851, 8861||10|
|Cisco IP Phone 7861||16|
8x8 Supported Sidecars
|Sidecar||Number of Keys Supported for Each Sidecar|
|Polycom VVX Sidecar 28-Key (Color)||
|Polycom VVX Sidecar 40-Key (Paper Label)||
|Polycom VVX EM50 Sidecar||
|Cisco IP Phone 8800 Sidecar||
Line Keys can be used:
- By a receptionist who handles multiple concurrent incoming calls, rapidly processes and transfers calls to BLF-monitored users.
- By a group manager, a team leader, or a group admin who observes the presence of other team members during the day, speed dials them for consultation, or instantly transfers a live call to another team member.
- By a team member who actively collaborates with other teams or organizations in the company, and partners and suppliers outside the company. Having quick access to these frequently-used contacts via Line Keys helps users be more efficient.
Set up Line Keys Templates
Line key templates allow you to save time and effort by configuring the Line Keys once and copying it for more users or devices as needed. See how to Set up Line Key Templates.