Add Speed Dial Keys
8x8 Speed dial keys are used to place a call to the desired destination at the touch of a button. It has the advantage of users not having to remember or enter long telephone numbers into their phones. This is particularly handy for the most frequently-dialed numbers or to quickly dial in an emergency. Users can place calls by pressing pre-determined keys on their phone. You can add as many speed dial keys as your device allows. Speed dials can be added from both 8x8 Admin Console and device.
- Quickly dial out to the most frequently-used numbers.
- Set up quick forwarding rules for the monitored numbers or extensions.
- Dial to internal and external phone numbers at the touch of a button.
- Add an unlimited number of speed dials to your device.
- Use as shortcuts for barge, monitor, whisper, or even log in to a call queue.
- Configure speed dials to custom destinations such as star commands and custom numbers to fully exploit the power of your voice system.
- Speed dials cannot be created in the 8x8 Work for Desktop and 8x8 Work for Mobile.
- Cisco phones do not support *, + or # characters in the speed dial configuration.
Set up Speed Dial Keys
You can add a device that supports Speed Dial keys, activate the device, and set up the Speed Dial keys via the Users page.
To add Speed Dial keys:
- Go to Home > Users.
- Edit or create a user. See how to Add VO Users.
Under Voice Basic Settings > Device model, select a device that supports Line Keys, and activate it. The Line key configuration link appears next to the device.
Note: The link only appears for devices that support Line Keys, such as VVX 300. Please refer to the list of 8x8 supported phones for Line Keys.
- Click Line Key configuration.
You find access to three types of keys: BLF key, Speed dial key, and Line appearance.
- Click +Speed Dial key.
- In Dial to, enter a name, phone number, or an extension number. A label is populated in the Label field.
- Enter or change the Label. The label appears on the phone device display and next to the speed dial. The maximum number of characters for the label depends on the device type.
- Select a Ring type for a unique ring tone. When an incoming call comes, the matching key rings differently.
- Enable auto divert to forward your incoming calls automatically, or auto reject to reject the incoming calls:
- Auto divert: You can create a speed dial for every target you call often, whether an internal user or an external contact. Auto divert can come handy when you need to divert a call from this speed dial contact automatically. Let's say you have a customer who typically calls you; but you need to transfer him to your colleague. Or, you are an executive and like to send your family calls to you directly, bypassing the auto-attendant. You can set up auto divert on certain numbers, such as a colleague you frequently interact with, to come straight to you as if it was a direct line. You can also specify an external number such as your mobile phone number to diver the incoming call from this speed dial contact. Let's say, you have set up a speed dial to reach your Supervisor. You are traveling and you want to receive the calls from your supervisor on your mobile phone number; you can now key in this number to automatically divert the calls from your supervisor to your mobile number.
- Auto reject: You can create a speed dial for every target you would like to reject. Auto reject allows users to blacklist a phone number so that all calls from that number are automatically dropped.
Note: Auto divert and auto reject only applies to incoming calls. If you have set up call forwarding rules for a user, those rules takes precedence over the auto reject rule.
- Click Save. The speed dial key appears on the list with a blue bar indicator. Hover over next to each key to drag and drop and rearrange the keys.
- Click to save the Speed dial key configuration and the user. The phone reboots automatically to show the updates. The new Speed dial key appears on the phone device.
You can also add speed dial keys from the phone device.
Edit Speed Dial Keys
You can add, edit or delete Speed Dial keys from the Users or Devices pages.
To edit Speed Dial keys from the Users page:
- Go to Home > Users.
- While editing a user, go to Voice Basic Settings > Device model > Line key configuration.
- Click Speed dial key, and make the desired changes.
- Click Save.
To edit Speed Dial keys from the Devices page:
- For a quick and easy access to the Line Key configuration page, go to Home > Devices.
- Find an activated device that supports Line Keys and is assigned to one. Click View device report.
- Click next to the device that is configured with Line Keys.
- Make the desired changes.
- Click Save.
Refer to the following frequently-asked questions for more information:
You can not only add speed dials from 8x8 Admin Console, but you can add them from the phone device.
To add a speed dial from the phone device:
- Press to display the Home view.
- Go to Directories > Contact Directory.
- Click to add a new contact.
- Enter name, contact number, and label. Label appears next to the speed dial key on the phone display.
- Enter a number for Favorite Index. The Favorite Index determines the location of the key on the phone device display.
- Save your changes, and press again to go back to the main page. The speed dial appears on the phone device.
- Refresh the 8x8 Admin Console to see the updates.