Set up Switchboard Pro
Switchboard Pro is an optional add-on feature for 8x8 Work business phone service. Switchboard Pro’s sophisticated call processing capabilities and insights allows receptionist to efficiently handle both internal and external caller’s needs in getting to the right resources quickly. This browser-based software works in tandem with a Polycom IP phone.
Depending on your subscription and license type, you can see Switchboard Pro capability in 8x8 Admin Console. When you allow users to access the Switchboard Pro console, they can log in to Switchboard Pro and process or transfer the incoming calls. You can add any user as the switchboard receptionist as long as the switchboard capability is enabled for the user and the user has a DID.
As a Switchboard Pro user, you can:
- Handle calls that come in to your business: receive calls, transfer calls to the right contact or auto attendant, and park the calls.
- Chat or send messages to anyone in your contact directory.
Let's say the AcmeJets legal office needs to get its phone system set up. It has one main number and three phones for their legal advisers. The phone rings only at the receptionist's desk. The majority of the calls are incoming, screened and transferred by the receptionist. The receptionist has a user account with enabled Switchboard Pro capabilities. She logs in to Switchboard Pro and manages calls coming to the legal office, and transfers them to the legal advisers or the auto attendant for more menu options.
Depending on your subscription and license type, you may see Switchboard Pro capability. You can then enable the Switchboard Pro capability for any user in the site:
To give users access to Switchboard Pro:
- Go to Home > Users.
- Add a new user, or click to edit an existing one.
- Go to Switchboard Pro.
Enable Allow this user to access Switchboard Pro application.
If you have enabled sending an email, the user receives a Welcome Email containing the login information and password link. Use the credentials to log in and access the Switchboard Pro application. See the Switchboard Pro user guide for more information.
If you like your site's receptionist to be a Switchboard Pro operator, after you enable the switchboard capability for the user:
- While editing a site, go to Voice Service Settings.
- Add the user as the Receptionist.
- Select a number as the site's Main Line Number.
- Go to Home > Users.
- While editing the same user's account, assign the main line number to the user in Users > Voice Basic Settings > Phone Number. See how to Add Users.
Greeting is a short message presented to callers by the Switchboard Pro receptionist when a call comes in. The greeting serves as a reminder for the receptionist to greet the callers with a particular message that is intended for those callers.
To add greetings:
- Go to Home > Switchboard.
- Click + Add greeting.
Select a phone number from the list of available numbers. The greeting will be linked to this phone number. When a call comes into this number, the receptionist can view this message and greet the caller appropriately.
- Select a site to auto-filter the phone numbers in the contact directory to entries from that site so that the receptionist can quickly navigate through the filtered list and direct an incoming call. This is optional.
- Add the greeting text. Click Save.
When an incoming call is received by a receptionist on the Switchboard Pro for this number, the greeting message pops allowing the receptionist to greet the caller appropriately before directing the call to the intended users or departments..
Click Generate greetings report to get a consolidated report of all greeting messages associated with phone numbers and corresponding users.
Refer to the following frequently-asked questions for more information:
Switchboard Pro inherits the extension’s simultaneous call capacity when it is assigned to the user; by default, the capacity is set to two calls. You can use Line Keys for more call capacity. Contact 8x8 Support for more information.
Yes, you can have more than one Switchboard Pro user, but you must enable one user's switchboard capability at a time by editing their User accounts.
- To edit a greeting, go to Home > Switchboard > Greetings and click next to the desired greeting.
- To delete a greeting, go to Home > Switchboard > Greetings and click next to the desired greeting.