Set up Virtual Office Contacts
A contact is a user without 8x8 services (licenses) and permissions. To create a contact, enter the basic information such as first name, last name, email, username, and site. The contact is created and added to the users list but cannot function as a user as no services or licenses are assigned to them yet. To create a contact in Virtual Office, from the main menu in Configuration Manager, go to Users > + Create User. You can save a contact and later upgrade it to a VO User with additional features. To create multiple contacts at once, see Create Users in Bulk.
To create a contact, enter first name, last name, and email address, then continue to add the following fields as needed:
- Username: By default, the system recommends a username created from company name, first name, and last name, and notifies you if a duplicate exists. For example, John Smith of AcmeJets Corporation sees this username by default: AcmeJets.John.Smith. If you wish to create a different username, it must be unique and never used before.
- Site: Site is the location of your business. By default, your phone system is assigned to a site based on the service address provided. The emergency address and language fields are derived from the site. The site's country is the default address country in the user account. You can modify the above values if needed. See how to set up sites.
- Language: Language controls the language of the voice prompts, email notifications, and device display.
- Time Zone: Time zone is used for downloading call recordings, viewing call queues, and scheduling and running reports when logged in as the current administrator.
- Display contact in company directory: You can hide users, rings groups, call queues, internal fax numbers, etc., from the public in the company's contact directory. If the display option is disabled, the name and number is no longer visible in contacts. To hide a user from the company's directory, go to Home > Users > Basic information. Click to disable the Display contact in company directory, and save the user.
- Contact Directory Scope: Define whether the user can view contacts and other users in the same PBX, site, or the entire company. A company can have multiple phone systems, multiple sites, and many users. For example, AcmeJets company has two phone systems and three sites. You can choose the user to be visible at the PBX level or at the site level.
- Personal contact number: Enter the user's personal contact number such as home or mobile number. The personal contact number appears on the user's Virtual Office desktop app and Virtual Office mobile app. If you enable Display contact in company directory in the user profile, the user's personal contact number will also appear in the company directory. For details, see our FAQ content on how to add a mobile number.
Refer to the following frequently-asked questions for more information:
How do I add a mobile number for users in the Virtual Office desktop app or Virtual Office mobile app?
- From Home > Users, click next to the desired user.
- Enter a Personal contact number. It can be a custom number or a short number such as 5555. The system also accepts formats such as 4444*5555 where * represents a pause, or 408-444-4444#5555 where # is used before an extension. Alphabet letters and some characters are not supported. A red message indicates if a character does not pass the basic system's check.
- Click to Save your changes.
Open topic with navigation