About 8x8 Work for Mobile on Chromebook
As an Android user, you have the ability to use 8x8 Work for Mobile on your Chromebook in addition to your mobile device!
As a Chromebook user, you can quickly download 8x8 Work for Mobile on your Chromebook from the Google Play store.
To install and launch 8x8 Work for Mobile on your Chromebook:
On your Chromebook, click the Google Play icon visible on your app shelf.
Note: If you do not see the icon on your app shelf, enable the icon in your Chromebook device settings.
- In the Google Play window that opens, search for <8x8 Virtual Office>, and select 8x8 Virtual Office from the list of search results.
In the application page that opens, click Install.
Once the app is installed, click Open to launch the app.
When 8x8 Work for Mobile is launched, you can choose to pin the 8x8 Virtual Office application icon to your app shelf for quick access. Right-click the app icon to open a menu, and click Pin.
Your credentials and accompanying details are sent to you via email. In the email, check whether you should use an 8x8-assigned username and password, or your existing company credentials.
To log in to 8x8 Work for Mobile on Chromebook:
From the starting screen when logged out, select Login to open an 8x8 login page in your browser.
- In the login page that opens, enter your 8x8 username (or company email address) and your password, and click Login.
At the browser prompt, confirm to open in the app, and close the login page. Welcome to 8x8 Work for Mobile on Chromebook!
Your 8x8 Work for Mobile experience is nearly identical between your Chromebook and your mobile device, with the following exceptions:
- Login and authentication: On Chromebook, authentication prompts for login and meeting calendar sync open in your browser rather than directly in the app.
- On your mobile device, you have access to mobile-specific settings which are not relevant to (or accessible from) Chromebook. Some examples of settings not accessible from Chromebook include Profile > Settings > Data and Network Options and Profile > Settings > Advanced > Shake to send feedback.
- On Chromebook, you have the ability to control notifications for incoming calls, as well as more advanced control of your existing notification settings for messages, voicemails, and missed calls under Profile > Settings > Notifications.
For example, you can customize whether a chat notification displays on your screen, is audible, and/or overrides your Do not Disturb presence status.
- On Chromebook, you can access 8x8 Meet via your Meetings list.
- On Chromebook, meetings you open launch in your browser instead of directly in the app.
If you use 8x8 Work on a Chromebook, you now have the ability to send messages more intuitively by pressing your keyboard’s Enter or Return key; simply go to Profile > Settings > Advanced and enable the option to Send messages on Return!
If you leave this setting disabled, you continue to experience the app’s previous behavior; pressing your Enter or Return key while typing an 8x8 chat message adds a new line of text to the message you are typing.