Note: At this time, 8x8 Work for Web is in Beta, and is accessible to all 8x8 Work users via https://work-beta.8x8.com/.
About 8x8 Work for Web
8x8 Work for Web is the browser version of 8x8 Work for Desktop, with a shared look and feel that provides a consistent 8x8 Work experience between mobile, desktop, and web. If you are already familiar with the desktop app, your experience in the web app is virtually seamless.
The 8x8 Work for Web and legacy Virtual Office Online experiences are geared towards 8x8 users who:
- Use operating systems other than Windows or Mac (such as Linux, Chromebook, etc.)
- May not have the ability to manage software on their own computers
- May be using a computer other than their own
- Are in situations where the desktop and mobile apps are not applicable for any reason
- Have set up static or virtualized workstations
Differences between web and desktop apps
The desktop and web apps mirror the same user experience and functionality, with some exceptions based on the browser environment. The following is a brief summary of the limitations of the web app:
- Always-on-top pop-ups from the desktop app (such as the incoming call pop-up, call control window, meeting preview, etc.) are not available in the web app. In the web app, answer calls through the in-app incoming call banner.
- You cannot route calls through PSTN in the web app.
- You cannot promote calls to meetings in the web app.
- You cannot import Outlook contacts to the web app; only Google contacts are supported.
- There are no built-in call controls for headsets in the web app.
- There is no custom protocol support (tel://, votel:// etc.) in the web app.
- At this time, there are no keyboard shortcuts in the web app.
- Virtual Office Classic legacy customers must manage their account settings via a downloadable app accessed from Settings > Account settings in 8x8 Work for Desktop.
- Google Chrome: Latest and previous two versions
- Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based): Latest and previous two versions
8x8 Work for Web responds to the default region and language of the browser, and supports the same languages as 8x8 Work for Desktop.