Note: This feature is currently only available on request for Beta users. Reach out to your 8x8 Account Manager for details.
Use 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone as your workplace phone
- You must have an 8x8 Work license to use 8x8 Agent WorkspaceThe brand new interface for 8x8 Contact Center agents to receive and process customer interactions. softphone.
- 8x8 AgentAgents use the Agent Console to view and manage customer interactions. Virtual Contact Center supports Regular agents and Supervisor agents. Workspace softphone can only be used simultaneously with 8x8 Work for Desktop when Auto Answer is disabled.
- 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone is not supported when used simultaneously with 8x8 Work for Web.
- 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone is not supported if you are using a deskphone to answer customer interactions. When using a deskphone, change your Phone setup to Forward to a phone number. For more information, refer to Set up workplace phone.
As an 8x8 Contact Center agent, you can configure your workplace settings to use the 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone to connect with customers. With this setting, when a call is offered, you can answer the call directly from the browser.
When using the embedded softphone, 8x8 Agent Workspace displays calls from the 8x8 Contact Center queues you are assigned to, and calls to your 8x8 Contact Center extension. If using 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone and 8x8 Work for Desktop simultaneously, incoming 8x8 Contact Center calls are offered and can be answered on both apps. Calls to your 8x8 Work phone number or extension are only offered in 8x8 Work for Desktop.
If Auto Answer is enabled, the calling experience may vary depending on what apps you are logged in to. For more information on using 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone with Auto Answer, refer to Calling experience with the 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone and Auto Answer.
Note: When using Agent Workspace softphone, agents are not required to log in to 8x8 Work for Desktop to answer calls in 8x8 Agent Workspace.
Let’s say Robin, a call center agent, uses 8x8 Work for Desktop to handle customer interactions. When the connection mode is On demand, with every incoming call, Robin must navigate away from 8x8 Agent Workspace to accept the call in 8x8 Work for Desktop. By using the new 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone feature, Robin can close the 8x8 Work app and answer calls directly from the browser for a more streamlined experience.
If Robin uses 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone and 8x8 Work for Desktop simultaneously, when a call is offered in 8x8 Agent Workspace, a call notification also displays in the 8x8 Work app. Robin can then answer the call from either 8x8 Work for Desktop or Agent Workspace. Robin can choose to not have the floating call notification presented when 8x8 Work for Desktop is not in focus by toggling off the Enable call control window option from Settings > Audio & Video.
To use the embedded Agent Workspace softphone to answer calls directly from the browser, you must first enabled it from My Profile.
To enable Agent Workspace softphone:
- Log in to 8x8 Agent Workspace.
- Set your status to Work Offline.
- Go to Change status > My profile.
- From the Settings tab, click Change next to Phone setup.
- From the drop-down list, select Use Agent Workspace as your endpoint.
- Click Save.
- At the prompt, click Allow to enable 8x8 Contact Center to use your microphone in the browser. A microphone icon displays in the address bar indicating that the page is accessing your mic.
- From the Audio settings section that displays, select the speakers and microphone to use, and adjust the volume. When sound is detected, the Input level displays green dots. The number of green dots increases proportionally with the audio level detected.
Note: You must have an 8x8 Work license to be able to use Agent Workspace softphone as your selected endpoint.
Note: If the admin granted you permission to use the embedded Agent Workspace softphone, and Use Agent Workspace is not available for selection, refresh the page or log out and log back in to your account.
Note: When your profile is updated to use the embedded Agent Workspace softphone, a red dot displays in the browser tab indicating that the microphone is in use. This dot will then display only when engaged in a call or when you are accessing your profile settings and your selected endpoint in Phone setup is Use Agent Workspace.
Note: You are only prompted once to allow the microphone to be used—when you first select to use the in browser softphone or after clearing your browser history. If you blocked 8x8 Contact Center from using the microphone, access your browser’s settings and allow 8x8 Contact Center to use your microphone.
When a call is offered, you will be able to answer the call directly from the browser and connect with the caller.
Note: If your speaker and/or microphone volume is too low, a notification displays, prompting you to adjust the volume to improve audio experience. You can adjust the settings directly from the notification, or you can access the Audio settings from the status menu or My profile.
When using the 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone, you can choose your preferred speakers and microphone settings.
Let’s say Robin, a contact center agent, is alerted that their headset is running low on battery. Robin uses 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone to handle customer interactions, so while the headset is charging, Robin can change the audio settings to use the laptop's speakers and microphone to handle customer calls.
To change the audio settings:
- Go to Change status > Audio settings. The options open in a floating window.
Go to Change status > My profile > Settings > Audio settings.
- Make the necessary changes to:
Note: Refresh the page if the Audio settings section doesn't display in My Profile and you are using Agent Workspace softphone.
- Speakers: From the drop-down list, select the speakers you want to use.
- Speaker volume: Use the slider to adjust the speaker volume.
- Microphone: From the drop-down list, select the microphone you want to use.
- Microphone volume: Use the slider to adjust the microphone volume.
The input level bar displays green dots when sound from the microphone is detected. You can also click Test speakers to verify that the audio settings selected work as intended.
If you are using the 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone, when a call is offered, you can answer the call directly from the browser. If using 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone and 8x8 Work for Desktop simultaneously, incoming 8x8 Contact Center calls are offered and can be answered on both apps.
Note: Calls to the agent’s 8x8 Work extension don't display in 8x8 Agent Workspace.
To accept and process an inbound phone interaction directly from the browser:
- Go to My profile and ensure that your Phone setup is set to Use Agent Workspace.
- From Audio settings, select your preferred speakers and microphone devices.
- Change your status to Available.
- When your agent phone rings, the call panel pops at the top of the Control Panel.
- Notice the acceptance timer ticking down around the accept call icon. Answer the call before the timer expires. The call can be accepted manually or connected automatically via Auto Answer. If Agent whisper is set up for your tenant, you may hear a whisper informing you about the incoming call. For details about whisper, see our content about Agent whisper.
- Your status changes to Busy. If the Local CRM uses the caller's phone number to identify an existing customer, the customer's CRM record pops in the Display Panel.
- Communicate with the customer and process the call.
- If mandated, select the Disposition tab, and select a transaction code from the list.
- Click to end the call. Your post-processing timer begins.
- Complete any pending notes related to the call during the post-processing time.
- If you ended the call before selecting a mandatory transaction code, click Go to disposition before wrapping up to indicate the call outcome.
- Click Wrap up to wrap up the call. When the timer expires, the call wraps up automatically.
- If configured by the administrator, the post-processing time for direct-to-agent calls can be up to 60 minutes.
If the post-processing countdown interval reaches zero, 8x8 Agent Workspace automatically sets your status to Available.
Note: A red dot displays in the browser tab indicating that your browser is using the microphone.
Note: Your contact center administrator determines the event that triggers a screen pop. Based on the configuration, the screen pop may occur before or after accepting or completing an interaction.
Note: If the screen pop fails to open, clean up your browser cache and cookies and log back in.
Note: If your contact center administrator has set up codes to state the purpose of an interaction or record the outcome of an interaction, you have to select appropriate codes to indicate the call outcome. For more information, see Select transaction codes.
Refreshing the page during a call
Refreshing the page while engaged in a call using the embedded 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone causes the system to temporarily disconnect. 8x8 Agent Workspace tries to reconnect for 30 seconds. If unsuccessful, the call drops.
Note: When using 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone with Auto Answer enabled, we recommend closing 8x8 Work for Desktop to prevent calls from being auto-answered on the Work app. With 8x8 Work for Desktop open, Auto Answer doesn't behave as expected.
When using 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone with an On Demand connection and Auto Answer is enabled, the call is automatically answered in 8x8 Agent Workspace.
The following use cases describe the agent’s calling experience when using 8x8 Agent Workspace softphone with Auto Answer:
|Use case 1||Use case 2|
When a call is inbound via the 8x8 Contact Center extension or queue, the call is offered and auto-answered in Agent Workspace.
Calls to the agent’s 8x8 Work extension don't display in 8x8 Agent Workspace.
Important: We do not support this setup when using 8x8 Work for Desktop, 8x8 Agent Workspace, and Auto Answer simultaneously.
Calls to the agent’s 8x8 Work extension don't display in 8x8 Agent Workspace.
Important: Beta customers can only place emergency calls from 8x8 Work for Desktop.
Emergency call support in 8x8 Agent Workspace will only be available in the General Availability phase.