If your 8x8 Virtual Office extension uses only a softphone, you must log in to one of the following clients to handle calls:
- 8x8 Work desktop app
- 8x8 Work mobile app
Use the same credentials to log in to Virtual Office for Zoho. If your Virtual Office extension is assigned with a desk phone, use the call control panel in the application to answer incoming and outgoing calls.
During an inbound or outbound call, Virtual Office for Zoho looks up the phone number of the caller and then searches for a matching record in Zoho. On finding a matching record, it presents the record for you in a new tab to preview and prepare for the call. This process is referred to as screen pop.
The search may return:
- A single match: The number is associated with a single Zoho contact. The matching record is presented in a new browser tab.
- Multiple matches: The number is associated with multiple Zoho contacts. In the event of multiple matching contacts, the app lists all matches in the Search tab of the integration. By default, the call log is linked to the first record in the list. Assign the call to the appropriate user, and click next to the desired record to view the details.
- No match: In the absence of matching records, a call log is created in Zoho. While the call is active, you can create a new user record for the unknown user, search for the newly-created user in the Search tab, and assign the call to the appropriate user.
You can place calls to your Virtual Office and Zoho contacts from the dial pad, contact list, or call log in Virtual Office for Zoho. In addition,you can click-to-dialthe phone numbers from a click-to-dial button. See Use click-to-dial for more information.
Note: All outbound calls are two-legged calls. When you dial out, the call dials out to you first. Once you accept the call, the call dials out to the dialed party.
For phone numbers dialed from the dial pad, call log, or contact list, the system looks up a matching record and pops it up for your preview. For details, see our content on screen pop.
Depending on the number you call, you go through one of three calling experiences:
- Single match: The number you are calling is associated with a single Zoho contact. By default, single-match calls bring up contact records via screen pop.
- Multiple match: The number you are calling is associated with multiple Zoho contacts.
- No match: The number you are calling is not associated with any of your Zoho contacts.
You can make an outbound call using one click by clicking on a pre-configured click-to-dial button for a Contact, Lead, Account, or Vendor.
The administrator for your account has to set up the click-to-dial feature first before you can use it.
To use click-to-dial in Zoho:
Click Contacts (or another object such as Leads or Accounts) from the top navigation bar.
Note: These instructions describe how to use click-to-dial for a contact.
- Select the contact whose number you want to associate with the click-to-dial button.
With the Contact (or Lead, Account, or Vendor) screen open, select the button you want to associate the Contact's phone number with from the click-to-dial drop-down list.
Note: The Contact (or Lead, Account, or Vendor) has to have a phone number listed in its file, otherwise you cannot associate it with a click-to-dial button.
- To call the contact, click on the click-to-dial button from the drop-down.
When you receive an inbound call, the app notifies you of an incoming call and indicates if the caller is a known contact or not. When you receive a call, the system looks up a matching record and pops it up for your preview. For details, see our content on screen pop.
Depending on the caller number, you go through one of three calling experiences:
- Single match: The number is associated with a single Zoho contact. By default, single-match calls bring up contact records via screen pop.
- Multiple match: The number is associated with multiple Zoho contacts.
- No match: The number is not associated with any of your Zoho contacts.
While on a call in Virtual Office for Zoho, you have access to call controls that enhance your calling experience. Using the call controls, you can:
- Hold : Place the caller on hold, or resume a held call.
- Transfer : Transfer the caller to another user.
Merge : If multiple lines are available on your extension, you can combine the current caller with another contact to create a three-way call.
Click New line above the call control panel, and dial the desired number. Once the new party answers the call, you can merge your two calls into a three-way conference.
Note: The ability to make additional calls depends on how your Virtual Office extension is set up.
Record : Start or stop call recording.
After the call ends, you can access and download the recording by opening your 8x8 Work desktop app and opening the Call recordings tab from the navigation menu.
Note: Before recording a call, please review applicable call recording laws in your vicinity or region.
Upon terminating a call, Virtual Office for Zoho generates a call log. The call log includes information such as the transaction ID, the time the call was answered, and the call duration. A call log is created for inbound and outbound interactions, and is automatically saved as an Activity in Zoho. You can change the status of the activity to Complete, or any desired state. These call logs are available for future reference and can be updated; you can access them by searching in Zoho, or by opening the call details in Virtual Office for Zoho and clicking the Notes icon.
Depending on the number of matches, call log can be linked to the end-user record as follows:
- Single match: If there is a matching record, the call log is created and associated as an activity to the record by default.
- Multiple matches: If there are multiple matching records, the call log is created and associated as an activity to the first record in the list. You can search for another record and link the call to it.
- No match: In the absence of a matching record, the call log is not linked to any record. While in the call, if you create a new user record or search for an existing record, the call log is assigned to the possible match.