To receive or place calls using the 8x8 Contact Center app, you must:
- Be a member of the call queue to which the call is routed.
- Set your status to Available.
What happens when I am offered a call?
If the application is open, the Phone tab blinks red, indicating an inbound interaction. Click to answer the phone, the end-user record opens in a browser tab, even if the 8x8 Contact Center app is closed.
What is a typical inbound call flow?
- When a call is offered, the phone tab blinks red.
- If the caller is an existing customer, the end-user record opens in a browser tab, allowing you to preview the customer details and prepare to greet accordingly.
- Answer the call.
- In the 8x8 Contact Center app, click the Search tab.
If there is a matching record for the caller in the CRM, the record appears in Salesforce.
Note: If Search does not work (does not return results), a possible reason is that you do not have access to one or more of the following fields in Salesforce: Contact, Entity, or Lead. Contact your administrator if this issue occurs.
To add your notes for the interaction, while on the call, go to the Search > Wrap up > Notes and enter your notes regarding the interaction. When you click Save, your notes are saved in the Salesforce database and associated with the contact. It enables you to take notes while still on the call, hence increasing your speed and efficiency
Note: We can customize other fields such as outcome, due date, and more. Contact 8x8, Inc. Professional Services for more questions.
- Click Save.
- Click End Call. The post-processing time initiates. It gives you more time to wrap up notes for the call.
Note: Your administrator sets the post-processing timer. If the post-processing countdown interval reaches zero, 8x8 Contact Center automatically sets your status to Available.
- If applicable, click End Post Processing or wait for the call to terminate.
- At the termination of the call, a call log is automatically generated
and added to the task record. The call log typically includes information on the transaction ID, call initiation time, call termination time, call duration, and more.
- Click Work Offline if you need more time to complete any post-processing task.
What is the screen pop behavior for a phone call?
If enable by your administrator, you can receive a screen pop. During an inbound call, the 8x8 Contact Center application looks up the phone number of the caller and then searches for a matching record in the CRM. On finding a matching record, it presents the record for you to preview and prepare for the call. This process is referred to as screen pop.
The search may return:
- A single match: The matching record is presented in a new browser tab.
Upon the termination of the call, a call log is automatically generated and added to the task record. The call log typically includes information on the transaction ID, call initiation time, call termination time, call duration, etc. The optional information added by the agent, also appears on the call log.
- Multiple matches: In the event of multiple matching contacts, the 8x8 Contact Center app lists all matches in the Search tab.
By default, the call log is associated with the top matching record in the list. You can select another record in the list to associate the call with and view the call log details.Click next to the desired record to view the details.
- No match:
In the absence of matching records, a new case opens up ready to update. Upon ending the Post processing, a call log will be created and attached to the task.
What is the call log behavior?
Upon terminating a call, the 8x8 Contact Center app generates a call log. The call log includes information such as transaction ID, the time the call was answered, and the duration of the call. A call log is created for inbound and outbound interactions and automatically saved as
Depending on the number of matches, call log can be linked to the end-user record as follows:
- Single match: If there is a matching record, the call log is created and associated as an Activity
or a Taskto the record.
- Multiple matches: In the event of multiple matching contacts, there is no screen pop. The call log is created and associated as an Activity
or a Taskto the first record in the list.
- No match: In the absence of a matching record, a message indicates the lack of a matching record. The call is logged.
You can place outbound calls to agents and customers using the control panel or click-to-dial. If your contact center administrator has set up phone codes, you must also select the correct code to apply the right calling line ID to your outbound calls.
- Making calls using control panel: You can make outbound calls from the control panel by simply entering the desired number in the Phone tab and clicking Dial. The 8x8 Contact Center app uses a two-step process to dial an outbound call:
- Your agent telephone rings first. Answer the call.
- The call is then directed to the destination. Your external phone number rings next.
If the phone number is linked to a contact, the contact record pops after the call connects. A task page appears after the call is terminated with a call log attached to that page.
Note: If the off-hook connection is enabled by the administrator, and agent in the agent Profile, the offered calls are instantly connected. You can hear 8x8 Contact Center ringing the customer for the outbound calls without the need to connect the agent’s workplace phone for every call handled. For details, see our content about off-hook in Agent Console Guide. Contact your supervisor for your contact center's policies to place outbound calls.
- Making calls using Click-to-dial: If configured by your administrator, you are able to click and dial phone numbers from records inside the CRM.
Select Outbound Phone Codes
If your contact center administrator has set up phone codes, you have to select the appropriate codes to apply the right calling line ID to your outbound calls.
To select Outbound Phone Codes:
- Dial a number to call, and click Dial in the Control Panel.
- The outbound phone code list shows.
- Select a code from the list and click Dial.
- The calling line ID associated with the code applies to the call and the call dials out.