With off-hook connection mode agents can instantly and seamlessly connect to customers and improve their productivity. Off-hook is a persistent connection from the agent’s device to 8x8 Contact Center. It removes the need to connect the agent’s workplace phone for every call handled. Agents set up their voice connection before they start working on calls and remain connected throughout their working day. It allows them to respond to incoming and outbound phone calls with a simple click on the user interface.
In the previous behavior, after agents logged in to 8x8 Contact Center and made themselves available, they had to accept the interaction for every call that came through the queue whether it was accepting the call on a softphone such as Virtual Office app for Desk.com or picking up their desk phone. If they missed the ringing phone, they would no longer be available to take the interaction.
If your tenant is provisioned with off-hook connection mode, you can see this feature in 8x8 Configuration Manager. To enable off-hook connection mode for the tenant, log in to 8x8 Configuration Manager as an administrator and click Enable Off-hook Connection Mode in Home > Profile. Once it is enabled by administrators, agents can click Enable Off-hook Connection in their 8x8 Agent Console's user profile.
- Agents can immediately and seamlessly connect to customers.
- Offers a persistent connection from the agent's device to 8x8 Contact Center that is ready for outbound dialing.
- Removes the need to connect the agent's workplace phone for every call handled.
- Increases productivity from a higher throughput of calls.
- No per-agent permission is required for off-hook.
Enable off-Hook Connection in 8x8 Configuration Manager
If your tenant is provisioned with off-hook connection mode, admins can see this feature in 8x8 Configuration Manager.
To enable off-hook connection mode in 8x8 Configuration Manager:
- Log in to 8x8 Configuration Manager.
- Go to Home > Profile.
- Select Enable Off-hook Connection Mode. Off-hook connection is now available for all agents in that tenant.
- Click Save.
Enable off-Hook Connection in 8x8 Agent Console
If your administrator has enabled off-hook connection mode in 8x8 Configuration Manager, agents can see this feature in 8x8 Agent Console.
To enable off-hook in 8x8 Agent Console:
- Log in to 8x8 Agent Console as an agent.
- While in offline, go to the My Profile page.
- Select the Enable Off-hook Connection Mode. Once enabled, a message appears showing you how the feature works.
Note: This option is available only if it is enabled by the administrator in the 8x8 Configuration Manager.
- Click Ok and then Save.
Work with off-Hook Connection Mode
- Log in to 8x8 Agent Console. Make sure off-hook is enabled in the agent profile. Off-hook can only be enabled for agents if the administrator has already enabled it for the tenant.
- Click to change your status to Available. It triggers the outbound call from 8x8 Contact Center to agent's workplace phone/SIP.
- A new status is now offered called Off-hook Call Offered.
- Answer the call. You hear a personal identification number (PIN). The PIN is randomly generated for each login.
- Enter the PIN into the authentication box and click Confirm. It opens the agent’s off-hook connection. Once the off-hook connection is open, it remains open as long as the agent is logged in.
- Accept the offered calls to instantly connect to the inbound call, or hear 8x8 Contact Center ringing the customer for the outbound calls.
- Log out to close your connection. A notification appears when the connection is dropped.