Enhanced data augmentation
In 8x8 Contact Center, data collected by external CRMs and third party integrations can now be used in a more meaningful way. The data augmentation API allows you to tie data between external applications and call data. This facilitates greater resolution and drives call volumes and time handling. Prior to this release, the two nodes: 8x8 IVR, and forward to external IVR, have been limited in terms of data variables.
- Allows 8x8 customers to tie data between external applications and call data.
- Facilitates routing calls to the correct queues based on data collected.
- Drives down call misroutes and call handling times.
- Results in richer data and better insights in 8x8 Analytics.
Here are some common use cases for data augmentation:
- Route calls to queues by name, ID, or intention of the call
- Use for advanced Auto Attendant systems
- Route to different stores, locations, or offices
- Route to the last agent who handled the call previously (by integrating to a system that recorded the last interaction)
An example workflow
- A variable is created based on the call flow or data need.
- Call arrives at the Contact Center.
- The call is then forwarded to external IVR (eIVR).
- eIVR asks questions or queries a background integration or CRM, based on caller inputs.
- The intent of the call is assessed by eIVR.
- eIVR assigns a queue ID value to the call.
- eIVR posts the queue ID value to VCC API.
- Calls are terminated in eIVR.
- The call is resumed in VCC with the queue ID value assigned.
- A phone script tests to see if the variable matches.
- The call is then routed to a queue based on data collected from eIVR.
The following steps explain how you can forward calls to an external IVR such as intelligent IVR. Using the phone script in the Configuration Manager, forward an incoming call to the external IVR, assign a queue ID inside the intelligent IVR, check the queue ID inside the phone script, and forward the call to the right queue.
When a call comes in to a contact center channel, the first step is to forward the call to an external IVR. In the Configuration Manager, go to Scripts > Phone to create or edit a new script. For details, see our documents on how to create an inbound phone script. When creating or editing a phone script, use the forward to external IVR object to forward the phone interaction to an external IVR server such as intelligent IVR.
Within the external IVR such as intelligent IVR application, the caller selects a menu choice that assigns a queue ID or variable, then sends the call back to the 8x8 IVR. The queue ID can be assigned based on:
- An integration between 8x8 and eIVR solutions
- A menu selection
- The caller identity verification
The simple menu below shows the selection to attach the variable. The caller selects 1 or 2 to be directed to either the Sales or Support queue. A queue ID is assigned and the call is sent back to the Contact Center. Inside the intelligent IVR integration, multiple variables can be attached based on the customer needs, such as queue names or phone numbers. 8x8 uses the basic authentication method or SIP call ID as the primary key to correctly identify the caller and apply the right variable to the call.
Use the phone script Test Variable object to run a simple variable test with a true or false statement. If the queue ID matches the variable assigned in the external IVR, the call is routed to the correct queue. You can also check a call by name or a phone number. The simple task below shows the ability to take action based on a variable returned by data augmentation API: