An 8x8 Contact Center channel facilitates communication of interactions in and out of a 8x8 Contact Center tenant. When an interaction comes to the channel via phone, email, chat, or social media, it is directed to the appropriate queues via skill-based routing rules. For example, a phone channel directs inbound phone calls from customers to contact center agents, or an email channel is an email address that your customers use to send email requests to the contact center.
8x8 Contact Center supports interactions of all media via 8x8 Configuration Manager:
- Phone: Process inbound and outbound phone interactions using the phone channels. A phone channel is automatically crated when a number is ordered for the tenant through provisioning
- Email: Process inbound and outbound email interactions using the email channels. Email channels are created by the 8x8 Contact Center administrator in 8x8 Contact Center.
- Chat: Process incoming chat requests using the chat channels and direct chat requests from customers to contact center agents. Chat channels are created by the 8x8 Contact Center administrator in 8x8 Contact Center.
- Social: Process incoming chat requests from Facebook and Twitter and allow agents to accept and handle chat requests from social media. Social channels are created by the 8x8 Contact Center administrator in 8x8 Contact Center.
- SMS: Process messages routed via SMS channels and chat queues to agents, and offered to them as chat interactions for responses. Agents look up customer records from an existing customer. They can look up outstanding cases and history of interactions to handle the conversation effectively.
- Chat API: Connect directly to an agent from your own system such as enabling your clients to communicate with an agent from mobile app-based chat, Desktop web chatbots, and messaging via integrations with other apps or platforms. See our content on chat workflow for developers.
- Facilitate communication of interactions in and out of a 8x8 Contact Center tenant.
- Interact directly with the appropriate queues via skill-based routing rules.
- Create automatic phone channels through provisioning with every new order of telephone numbers.
- Configure existing phone numbers and email addresses to function as 8x8 Contact Center channels.
- Direct messages received in Facebook and Twitter to the chat channels in 8x8 Contact Center.
- Create, edit, and delete email, chat, and social channels, while the phone channels can only be edited.
Creating channels involves:
- Setting up phone channels
- Setting up email channels
- Setting up chat channels
- Setting up social channels
- Setting up SMS channels
- Assigning scripts to channels
Note: You can add email and chat channels from 8x8 Configuration Manager, but not any phone channels.