Screen and Voice Live Monitoring
Monitoring live interactions inside the Quality Management application allows you to listen to the audio of a live call, barge into the call, whisper to the agent directly, and view the screen(s) of the agent’s computer in real time; this requires a purchase of Screen Recording. You can use Screen Recording for a variety of reasons; coach an agent on how to handle a difficult customer in real time, monitor an agent’s screen to make sure they are working while on the clock, and more.
- Monitor agents' performance by remotely supervising their calls and screen activities.
- Listen to agents on the call, barge, whisper, and coach them while on the call.
- View an agent's screen activity in real time, record, and watch at your convenience to ensure their productivity.
- Automatically record video and audio during an agent interaction.
- Continuously monitor an agent to receive notifications when that agent receives an interaction.
- Access Interactions for full details of the interaction including date, time, agent, and caller.
- Create Notes and @mention agents to provide time-stamped feedback.
- Pop out the agent screen and use various screen controls to zoom in and out.
- Filter and sort agents to optimize the order in which the agents appear in the Monitoring dashboard.
- Switch between Compact and Comfortable views to change the size of agent cards in the Monitoring dashboard.
We recommend using Google Chrome to ensure a smooth experience.
Before you get started, make sure your admin has given you access to the View Live Monitoring permission inside Quality Management. If you purchased the Screen Recording feature, make sure every user to be monitored has downloaded and installed the screen recorder client. For details, see prerequisites for the screen recording client. At this point, assign each user to be monitored a screen recorder client profile. Your system comes by default with a screen recorder client profile already created, designed to fit most cases.
To use 8x8 Live Monitoring, you must log in to the Quality Management application.
- Go to https://sso.8x8.com.
- Enter your supervisor credentials to log in. The application panel launches.
- Select to launch the Speech Analytics and QM app.
- When you’re ready to start live monitoring, click the Live Monitoring icon from the navigation menu to go to the Live Monitoring home screen. You are prompted to connect to Agent Console.
- Click Connect to Agent Console. The applications panel launches in a new tab.
- Select to launch the Virtual Contact Center Agent app. Agent Console launches, placing you in the On Break status.
- Change your status to Available or Work Offline.
- Go back to your Live Monitoring screen. Refresh to see that you are connected to Agent Console.
- From this screen, get a high-level view of:
- Which agent is on what status and for how long.
- Who the agent is talking to, if on an interaction.
- When was the last interaction taken.
- What is the active window of each agent with screen recording installed (requires Screen Recording).
All agents who you have access to monitor, and who match your filter criteria, are arranged in cards on a grid view. Note that access to monitor other agents is granted by the authorized groups of your role(s). For details, see more on authorized groups in roles.
Let’s say you wish to monitor agents who are working offline or busy, or agents who are handling inbound calls, or agents belonging to a specific agent group, such as Tier 1 Support. Use the custom filtering options and monitor who you want.
You can filter the list of agents by the following:
- Agent ID: Find agents by their unique identifier.
- Full name: Find agents by their first and last name.
- Agent status: Find agents by their status in 8x8 Contact Center.
- Agent supervisor: Find agents by who their active supervisor is.
- Agent trainer: Find agents by who their active trainer is.
- Extension: Find agents by their phone number extension.
- Interaction direction: Find agents by the direction (inbound/outbound/internal) of their current interaction.
- Main group: Find agents by the main group they are associated with in Quality Management.
In addition to filtering agents, you can further optimize the order of agents you see with the sorting options. Click the Sort icon to sort agents based on the following:
- Full name A-Z
- Full name Z-A
- Agent status A-Z
- Agent status Z-A
Click the Grid icon to change the size of the agent cards. By default, the agent cards are set to Comfortable; this view allows you to see more information about the user. If you purchased Screen Recording, this is the only view where you can see the screen of the agent. To view more cards on your screen, you can switch to the Compact grid view; this condenses the display of the information, giving you all the essentials with more room on the screen to view more agents.
If you have purchased Screen Recording and have the appropriate permissions, you see the Recorder Profile icon next to Sort. This takes you to the Screen Recorder profile settings page where you can modify, delete, assign, and make new profiles.
You can monitor agents by listening to their calls when they are interacting with customers or by watching their screen.
If you are in the Compact grid view, you can click the Action menu icon and select Monitor to listen, barge, and whisper during live calls.
If you have purchased Screen Recording, you have additional options to live view the agent’s screen as well record the screen when the agent is not on an interaction. Hover over the agent card and click View screen, or click the Action menu icon and select View screen. This puts you on the agent’s Live Monitoring page, but does not connect you to audio.
You can view an agent’s screen at any time, even when they are not on an interaction, by clicking View screen on the agent card. During live view, you can pop out a panel in which you can view the agent's desktop, as well as manually record the agent’s screen.
You can view the agent in live view mode and record the screen manually up until the agent takes an interaction. Once a phone interaction arrives via a phone channel:
- The view of the agent immediately switches to the Live Monitoring view.
- Manual recording, if on, immediately ends.
To manually record an agent’s screen, click Record screen in the bottom-right corner of their Live Monitoring view.
When clicked, this button toggles on a recording of the agent’s connected monitors. An indicator appears next to the LIVE VIEW tag to let you know that manual recording is on.
To end the manual recording session, click Stop recording in the same place as the previous Record screen button. You can start/stop manual recording on the agent screen as often as you want until the agent takes a phone interaction from a phone channel. Each start/stop will create a separate recording. Once a phone interaction is taken via a phone channel, the view switches to the Live Monitoring view, and you are unable to manually record the screen.
Manual recordings can be accessed in the Calls Search page once they are completed. You can search for them by setting the Interaction type filter to is Video only.
From the list of recordings, select the recording you want to play to view the details. Click the video thumbnail to launch it in full screen. Then click the play button to play the screen recording.
Audio monitoring allows you to listen to an agent’s calls, barge in, or whisper. Once you begin monitoring an agent, every time the agent processes a phone call via the channel, your phone rings. Accept the call to listen, barge, and coach the agent while the call is active.
To connect to an agent’s audio bridge after you accept a call to barge, monitor, or whisper, click Monitor. Locate this button in the following places:
- On the agent card when you click the Action menu icon
- On the agent card when you hover over the card in the Comfortable view
- In the bottom-right corner of the agent desktop display window in the Live Monitoring view
Note: Before you click Monitor, make sure your phone number is correctly set up in Agent Console. For details, see more content on changing your workplace number.
Once you connect to the agent’s audio in listening mode, you can choose to Barge or Whisper from the agent desktop display window.
To barge in on (or join) the call, click Barge. When you click the button, the label changes to Barge in progress and the monitoring call becomes a conference. To go back to listening mode, click End monitoring to end the monitoring session, and then reconnect in listening mode by clicking Monitor.
To talk directly to only the agent, click Whisper. When you click the button, the label changes to Stop Whisper. To go back to listening mode, click Stop Whisper; the label changes back to Whisper to indicate that you are back in listening mode.
To hang up a monitoring call while in the Live Monitoring view, click the End monitoring icon in the bottom-right corner of the agent desktop display window. If you are on the Live Monitoring home screen during a monitor session, the End monitoring icon is in the interaction shortcut bar at the top of the page.
As a supervisor, you can receive notifications when an agent takes an interaction by clicking Monitor on the agent’s screen. After you click Monitor, your phone rings the next time the agent takes an interaction. Your phone continues to ring each time the agent takes an interaction until you click the End monitoring icon.
Note: You must be logged in to Agent Console to use continuous monitoring.
While you are in the Live Monitoring view during an interaction, the Interaction information panel is open. This panel shows interaction details. The order of the information can be configured under Settings > Information display > Interactions.
Note: You can use the Labels field to tag calls while you monitor them. This can be helpful if you notice topics discussed in the call that you would want to follow up on or report on later.
While in the Live Monitoring view during an interaction, you can add notes on the Interaction information panel about the interaction.
To add a note:
- Click the Add note icon next to the Notes section title.
- When the new line appears, write your note in the box.
- Click the Save icon to save the note, or click the Delete icon to cancel and delete the note.
Just like when you create notes on a finished interaction, you can delete a note by clicking the Action menu icon and selecting Delete.
Note: You can @mention the agent, evaluators, or other users with access to Quality Management while taking notes on an in-progress interaction.
These notes are time-stamped and accessible on the timeline after the interaction has ended.
You have access to screen controls that you can use when recording an agent screen.
To get a closer look at an agent’s screen, either during an interaction or in the Live Monitoring view, you can use the zoom controls. Zooming in enlarges the display, allowing you to see more details. Zooming out gives you an at-a-glance view. Note that you can only zoom in or out to the maximum dimensions of the video feed.
In some cases, you must multitask while monitoring a call. You can make multitasking easier by popping out the agent desktop display window; this can be done whether you can view the agent’s screen or not.
To pop out the display window, click the Pop out icon in the bottom-left corner of the panel. This opens a new browser window with:
- The Monitor, Barge, and Whisper buttons.
- The agent’s desktop screens (if you purchased Screen Recording).
To pop the window back into the main display, click Pop-in monitoring window in the main display.
While monitoring an agent in the Live Monitoring view or watching an agent in the live view, you may want to return to the Live Monitoring home screen. To do this, click the Up icon in the agent monitoring panel at the bottom of the page.