Check the following frequently-asked questions for more information:
- Windows 7 or newer
- Mac OS 10.9 or newer
To switch to the Phone tab automatically:
- Click Settings from the top menu.
- Go to General tab.
- Select Switch to Phone.
Next time a call comes in, the 8x8 Work for Desktop automatically switches to the phone tab.
- With your headset plugged, navigate to Control Panel.
- Click Hardware and Sound.
- Under Sound, click Manage Audio Devices.
- Under Playback and Recording tabs, select the USB headset as the default communication device.
- While on a live call on your 8x8 desk phone, log in to the 8x8 Work for Mobile on your smartphone.
- Dial *88 from the app dialpad, and tap Call.
- The call on the on the desk phone drops and becomes active on your mobile application.
You can add *88 as a favorite contact for easy access.
To dial phone numbers in emails or web pages with a single click, you can use 8x8 Web Dialer to further streamline your calling experience.
- In 8x8 Work, click Settings > Call Forwarding > Default Rules.
- Click When I don't answer my call for 15 secs.
- Enter a new value for the number of seconds.
- Click Save.
Your 8x8 Work for Desktop call forwarding default rules are synchronized with your 8x8 Work for Mobile rules as soon as you log out and back in.
To set default rules in the 8x8 Work for Mobile:
- From the main menu, go to Settings > Call Forwarding.
- Define rules for the following conditions:
- When Busy
- When No Answer
- During Outage
- Log out and log back in to the 8x8 Work for Desktop; the rules are synchronized with the 8x8 Work for Mobile.
The 8x8 Work for Desktop now supports French (French and Canadian), German, Dutch, and Spanish. To access the app in a different language, you must change your computer language settings.
If the app does not reflect your device language settings, please contact your phone system administrator.
Faxes are archived for 60 days. However, their records appear under your tab for longer than that, and you may no longer access the fax content after 60 days.
- Skype for Business (formerly known as Lync)
Only users who are online on the 8x8 Work for Desktop can be added to a group chat. If one or more of the desired users are offline, group chat will not start. If all desired users are online, click in the upper-right corner of the chat window to start the group chat.
On Mac and Windows, you can send & receive SMS messages using the 8x8 Work for Web from a web browser
On iOS and Android, you can use version 4.4 or newer of the 8x8 Work for Mobile.
Currently, SMS is only supported on 8x8 Work Unlimited and Global extensions with United States phone numbers. Metered and Virtual extensions cannot send SMS.
No, SMS is not yet supported on 8x8 phone numbers from outside the U.S.
You can receive SMS messages from any global phone number. However, you can only send messages to numbers in the United States.
No. Currently, we only support sending and receiving SMS text messages to and from individual numbers.
You cannot send SMS messages to a co-worker in your 8x8 Company Contacts by clicking on the message bubble; you can only send IM messages.
Yes. When the message is sent, you will receive incoming IM & SMS messages on both your PC or Mac and mobile device if you are logged into 8x8 Work on both devices.
If you're not logged into 8x8 Work on your desktop or mobile device, and someone sends you a message, the first device you log in to will receive a notification of the missed message. The other device will not receive the notification of the missed message.
Note: If you're logged in to 8x8 Work on only your PC or Mac, and receive a message when you're away from your desk after logging into your mobile device, you will not receive the "missed" message. This is because the message was already sent to 8x8 Work on your PC or Mac.