About 8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams
8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams enables users to place and receive public switched telephone network (PSTN) calls from within Microsoft Teams. This serves as a cost effective calling solution for Microsoft Teams users.
This guide is intended for administrators setting up the 8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams v3.
This document uses the following abbreviations:
|8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams||Voice for Teams|
|8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams||Phone App|
Take advantage of the following capabilities with 8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams v3:
- Place and receive PSTN calls in Microsoft Teams via Phone App without requiring a Microsoft Phone System or Calling Plan license per user.
- Place PSTN calls directly from the contacts list or history within the Phone App.
- Access your contacts easily for voice communication within Phone App. Add/edit/delete contacts - your contact list is automatically updated in Microsoft Outlook.
- Access the call logs, and search your call history in Phone App.
- View active calls, internal or PSTN, in the Active Calls section of Phone App.
- Hold/resume or merge PSTN calls, transfer or forward them to voicemail from the Teams pop up active call.
- Take advantage of the Teams Call Recording, Call Transcript or Call Live Captions.
8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams has the following requirements:
- A Microsoft 365 license with Microsoft Teams enabled per user
- An 8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams license per user
- An 8x8 X1-X8, X0-Tseries license per user
- An 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams license per user
- A Microsoft Teams Phone Resource Account license per PBX
Note: 8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams v3 users cannot be assigned either a Microsoft Phone System license or Calling Plan.
Note: Large Tenant Mode can only be enabled in the 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams v3 admin portal, and both Phone App users and Voice for Teams users must be added to separate Azure AD security groups.
Note: 8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams v3 requires an unallocated Microsoft Teams Phone Resource Account license be available on your PBX. Please see this Microsoft article for information regarding the license.
Note: 8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams v3 supports 8x8 PBX Call queues, and Ring Groups functionalities set up for the user in the 8x8 Admin Console. At this time the use of 8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams for Web is not recommended as intermittent behavior was found when handling these types of Ring Group and Call Queued calls.
Setting up 8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams requires you to configure 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams. To learn more, please refer to 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams for Administrators.
The following features are not supported in the 8x8 Phone App for Microsoft Teams:
- Call park
- Call forward to another PSTN number
- Outbound PSTN calls from Chat, native Teams Calls app, or another app outside of Teams (e.g. Office)