The 8x8 Virtual Office desktop app enables you to send and receive messages via desktop or mobile with your colleagues or with external contacts. Do you want to make your messages more effective by attaching a file you are discussing, emphasize key parts of a message, or even take a particularly important conversation to the next level via 8x8 Video Meetings? Virtual Office messaging allows all of this, and more!
Note: The content in this guide refers to versions 6.9 and older of the Virtual Office desktop app. If you're using a version higher than 6.9, see our content for version 7.0 and onward!
- IM chat: Send messages with contacts in your company phone system via IM (displayed in blue), and see when your messages are successfully sent and read by the other party.
- Meetings via IM chat: Quickly promote a chat to a productive meeting by inviting a colleague to 8x8 Video Meetings via chat.
- Attach files in IM chat: Attach files or images you are discussing to make your discussion more efficient and productive.
- SMS chat: Send messages with external contacts and numbers via SMS (displayed in green), and see when your messages are successfully sent.
- Format text: Include formatted text to draw attention to important content in a message.
- Team Messaging and group chat: Depending on your organization's requirements, you may have access to Team Messaging or to group chat.
- Attach files in chat: Make your chat conversation more efficient and productive by attaching an image or file you are discussing with a colleague.
- Message history: Can't remember the details of last month's discussion on an important task? Access a comprehensive chat history with any contact, allowing you to come back to past discussions at any time.
- Language support: Send messages in any language supported by the app.
- Cloud-based messaging: Conversations to continue seamlessly as the user moves between their desktop and mobile applications.
Note: If your organization does not enable messaging in the Virtual Office desktop app, you do not have access to the messaging functionality.