For details on the contact directory in the 8x8 Virtual Office desktop app, refer to our following FAQ items.
If you get a new title in your company or move to a different department, you would want to change your details that show up in the Virtual Office company directory. However, you cannot change the name or details of yourself or another Virtual Office user. Only the phone system administrator can change company contact details; if you need to update your contact details, please contact your phone system administrator.
To copy and paste a Virtual Office contact's information, click and drag to highlight the desired information in the contact details page, and copy using your operating system's standard key combination.
Let's say you only communicate with colleagues in your department or location, or that you want to group all company contacts by their department or location, rather than alphabetically by name. You can change the sort order for your company contacts directly from Contacts > Company.
To sort company contacts:
- Go to Contacts > Company.
- Just above the list of contacts, click the Sort icon to open a menu.
- In the menu that opens, you can:
- Sort all contacts by name in alphabetical order.
- Sort contacts by department in alphabetical order.
- Sort contacts by location in alphabetical order.
- Display only contacts in your department.
- Display only contacts in your location.
When you create a personal contact in the Virtual Office desktop app, it is stored in the 8x8 cloud, but remains visible only to you under Contacts > My Contacts.
Let's say you commonly call an organization such as a large office or pharmacy, you are familiar with that organization's IVR menu: "For sales, press 1. For billing inquiries, press 2. To return to the main menu, press *..." You can save time and avoid long menus by creating a contact for repeated use, or by adding your choices while dialing a number in the Virtual Office desktop app.
To add IVR menu choices to a contact:
- Go to Contacts > My Contacts.
- Click the New Contact icon, and select Add new contact to start creating a new contact.
- Enter the contact details.
- Type in a comma when you need to insert a pause for the IVR menu. The pause you entered is indicated by a comma in the phone number.
- Insert your IVR menu choice numbers, each separated by a pause. For example, if you want to save the phone number <555-5555>, with IVR option <1> followed by IVR option <2>, the number would appear as <555-5555,1,2> when complete.
- When you are finished, click Save contact. The contact with your IVR choices now shows up under Contacts > My Contacts.
To add IVR menu choices while dialing:
- Open the Calls tab.
- Click the Dial pad icon to bring up the dial pad.
- While dialing a number, you can enter your IVR menu choices by typing in a comma before the number that indicates the IVR selection.
Similarly, you can enter a plus for international calls by typing in a plus before the phone number.
- Open the Contacts tab.
- Go to Favorites, Company, or My Contacts.
- Hover over the desired contact, and click the More icon that appears to open a drop-down menu.
- From the drop-down, select Contact info to display the contact details. If available, you can find the contact’s department and title, their email address, their phone, fax, and extension numbers, and more.
From the contact details, you can call, message, or fax the contact.