Handle Calls with the Outlook Plug-In
By this time, you have installed and configured 8x8 Microsoft integration with Outlook. When you configured the plug-in, you associated your extension number with Outlook via the 8x8 Virtual Office desktop app. Now the plug-in can use this extension to make calls. It also listens for calls coming to your extension.
Important: In order for integration with Microsoft to function, ensure that you are using a version that is compatible with your current version of the Virtual Office desktop app:
-For any version of the Virtual Office desktop app, download version 6.1.2 of the plug-in for calling with Skype for Business.
-For version 6 of the Virtual Office desktop app, download version 6.0 of the plug-ins for meetings with Outlook and calling with Outlook.
-For version 5 of the Virtual Office desktop app, download version 5.0.10 of the Microsoft Integration plug-in, which includes meetings and calling with Outlook, and calling with Skype for Business.
Note: The Outlook plug-in does not store the user's contact information, but instead functions as a dialer and uses information available in Outlook and the Virtual Office desktop app at the time a call is made or received.
Compatibility between the Outlook Click to Call plug-in and the Virtual Office desktop app is as follows:
|Outlook Click to Call plug-in version||Virtual Office desktop app version|
|6.0||6.x, and all currently-active versions of 5.x|
6.x or 5.9
Note: If you have previously installed version 5.0.10 of the 8x8 Microsoft Integration plug-in, it continues to work with version 6 of the Virtual Office desktop app. However, if you try to install version 5.0.10 of the plug-in with version 6 of the app already on your computer, you are prevented from installing the Microsoft Integration plug-in.
Install and Use the Outlook Plug-In
To run this version of integration with Outlook, you need:
- Windows 7 or newer
- Version 5 of the Virtual Office desktop app
- For integration with Outlook, one of the following:
- If you are running version 6 of Virtual Office: Version 6.0 of the Outlook Click to Call plug-in
- If you are running version 5 of Virtual Office: Version 5.0.10 of the 8x8 Microsoft Integration plug-in
- Outlook 2007 or newer
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0
To install the Outlook plug-in:
- Download one of the following:
- Once the download completes, open the downloaded file.
- If needed, accept the prompt to install the downloaded application.
- Complete the installation wizard that opens.
If you are installing version 5.0.10 of the Microsoft Integration plug-in, in the wizard, you can install:
Important: This feature is only available in version 5.0.10 of 8x8 Microsoft Integration, compatible with version 5.9 or earlier of the Virtual Office desktop app.
- Virtual Office Meetings integration with Microsoft Outlook
- Call integration with Microsoft Outlook
- Call and contact integration with Skype for Business
- Once installation completes, you may need to restart Microsoft Outlook and Skype for Business.
- When you reopen Outlook or Skype for Business, you have access to the plug-in.
The application allows you to dial your Outlook contacts whether you have their numbers listed as:
- Four-digit 8x8 extensions
- Standard phone numbers (such as 10-digit US phone numbers)
- International numbers with country codes
When you make an 8x8 call in Outlook, the device you call from controls the caller ID of the outgoing call. You can switch between your devices from the Virtual Office desktop app:
- In the new interface of Virtual Office, use the Call using menu.
Note: Starting with version 6.0 of the Virtual Office desktop app, Classic Mode is no longer supported.
Note: As a user of version 5.9 or older of the Virtual Office desktop app, you can only access Classic Mode if your organization is a Virtual Office Classic customer. If your organization has requested to disable Classic Mode access (or is an X Series or Virtual Office Editions customer), Classic Mode is not available.
If you choose to call from your computer or softphone, your outgoing calls are sent directly from the Virtual Office desktop app.
However, if you choose to call from your desk phone or another phone number, the system completes the outgoing call using the selected device or phone number.
You can place calls from your list of contacts in Outlook, or by clicking a phone number in a received email.
To call a number from your Outlook contacts:
- In the Outlook footer, open the People tab.
- From your list of contacts, right-click a contact and select Call with 8x8 from the drop-down menu.
- The 8x8 Dialer window pops up, listing the phone numbers and extension associated with the contact. Select the number to call. Your Virtual Office softphone pops up and dials the selected number.
Note: Contact information does not sync both ways; you can import Outlook contacts into the Virtual Office desktop app, but you cannot import Virtual Office contacts into Outlook.
- If you are using version 5.0.10 of the Microsoft Integration plug-in, the click-to-call feature is disabled by default. If you are using version 6.0 of the Outlook Click to Call plug-in, this feature is always enabled. To enable this feature in version 5.0.10 of the plug-in:
- Open the Mail tab of Outlook, and go to Home > 8x8 > Settings.
- Select the Automatic email phone number detection for dialout check box.
- If there is a phone number written in the content of an email, or located in the sender's signature, the phone number is now highlighted as a clickable blue link.
- Click the phone number to call it. Your Virtual Office softphone pops up and dials the selected number.
- Right-click a clickable user email or name to open a menu. This applies to your Outlook and global company contacts, and to Outlook users outside of your company or Outlook contact list. Whenever an Outlook user's email or name can be right-clicked to bring up the context menu, the option to Call with 8x8 is available.
- From the right-click menu, select Call with 8x8. Your Virtual Office softphone pops up and dials the relevant number.
When you receive a call from an Outlook or Virtual Office contact, you receive the call through the Virtual Office desktop app. Click Accept in the Virtual Office desktop app to answer an incoming call.