Check the following frequently-asked questions for more information:
- Windows 7 or newer
- Mac OS 10.9 or newer
The Virtual Office desktop app automatically switches audio devices (microphone/speakers) used when a USB headset is plugged in or unplugged. You can manually switch the headset microphone/speakers if your system fails to switch automatically.
- With your headset plugged, navigate to Control Panel.
- Click Hardware and Sound.
- Under Sound, click Manage Audio Devices.
- Under Playback and Recording tabs, select the USB headset as the default communication device.
- While on a live call on your 8x8 desk phone, log in to the Virtual Office mobile app on your smartphone.
- Dial *88 from the app dialpad, and tap Call.
- The call on the on the desk phone drops and becomes active on your mobile application.
You can add *88 as a favorite contact for easy access.
- Click Park on your Virtual Office desktop app, or press the relevant button on Polycom. Listen for the extension number where the call is parked. Dial the extension number from your Virtual Office mobile app or any other extension to pick up the call and continue.
To dial phone numbers in emails or web pages with a single click, you can use 8x8 Web Dialer to further streamline your calling experience.
- In Virtual Office, click Settings > Call Forwarding > Default Rules.
- Click When I don't answer my call for 15 secs.
- Enter a new value for the number of seconds.
- Click Save.
Your Virtual Office desktop app call forwarding default rules are synchronized with your Virtual Office mobile app rules as soon as you log out and back in.
To set default rules in the Virtual Office mobile app:
- From the main menu, go to Settings > Call Forwarding.
- Define rules for the following conditions:
- When Busy
- When No Answer
- During Outage
- Log out and log back in to the Virtual Office desktop app; the rules are synchronized with the Virtual Office mobile app.
The Virtual Office desktop app now supports French (French and Canadian), German, Dutch, and Spanish. To access the app in a different language, you must change your computer language settings.
If the app does not reflect your device language settings, please contact your phone system administrator.
If you find a bug in the application, you can instantly report it to us.
- Log in to the Virtual Office desktop app with your account credentials.
- From the top menu, click Help > Send Feedback.
- Under Please enter your feedback, describe an issue or potential improvement.
- When you click Submit, your feedback, a debug log, and screenshots of the Virtual Office desktop app are sent to 8x8 Support.
Faxes are archived for 60 days. However, their records appear under your Fax tab for longer than that, and you may no longer access the fax content after 60 days.
- Skype for Business (formerly known as Lync)
Only users who are online on the Virtual Office desktop app can be added to a group chat. If one or more of the desired users are offline, group chat will not start. If all desired users are online, click
On Mac and Windows, you can send & receive SMS messages using the Virtual Office online app from a web browser, and using the Virtual Office desktop app version 3.7.496 or newer.
On iOS and Android, you can use version 4.4 or newer of the Virtual Office mobile app.
Currently, SMS is only supported on Virtual Office Unlimited and Global extensions with United States phone numbers. Metered and Virtual extensions cannot send SMS.
No, SMS is not yet supported on 8x8 phone numbers from outside the U.S.
You can receive SMS messages from any global phone number. However, you can only send messages to numbers in the United States.
No. Currently, we only support sending and receiving SMS text messages to and from individual numbers.
You cannot send SMS messages to a co-worker in your 8x8 Company Contacts by clicking on the message bubble; you can only send IM messages.
Yes. When the message is sent, you will receive incoming IM & SMS messages on both your PC or Mac and mobile device if you are logged into Virtual Office on both devices.
If you're not logged into Virtual Office on your desktop or mobile device, and someone sends you a message, the first device you log in to will receive a notification of the missed message. The other device will not receive the notification of the missed message.
Note: If you're logged in to Virtual Office on only your PC or Mac, and receive a message when you're away from your desk after logging into your mobile device, you will not receive the "missed" message. This is because the message was already sent to Virtual Office on your PC or Mac.