Handle WhatsApp interactions
Agents receive WhatsApp interactions via social channel chat queues they are serving. To receive or send WhatsApp messages using the 8x8 Contact Center app for Salesforce, you must:
- Be a member of the queue to which the WhatsApp interactions are routed.
- Place yourself in Available status.
What is a typical inbound WhatsApp flow?
When a WhatsApp chat message is offered to an available agent, a notification displays prompting the agent to accept or reject the chat interaction.
- In the 8x8 Contact Center app, click the Change status menu option and change your status to Available.
The interaction notification in the app indicates an incoming WhatsApp chat request.
- Preview the record details and click to accept the interaction.
- If the incoming interaction is from an existing customer, the customer or case record pops for preview. The screen pop behavior may vary based on the settings.
If the request is from a new customer, a New Case record entry form pops. Enter the details of the new customer, and save the customer record.
- Answer the customer in the chat window and click to send your message.
- After finishing the interaction, click . The timer indicates the time for wrap-up.
- If required, select an outcome for Disposition.
- Click Wrap up.
At the termination of the interaction, a chat log may pop. The log is saved as a task. The log includes information about the time the WhatsApp message was initiated, accepted, and terminated, along with the chat transcript.
Note: The reject interaction button is disabled if your contact center administrator has not granted permission. This prevents agents from rejecting the interactions they are offered.
Note: If you reject the chat message or fail to accept it before the acceptance interval lapses, your status is changed to On Break.
Note: The chat window capacity is 40954 characters to allow agents to communicate large bodies of text.
Note: If the post-processing countdown interval reaches zero, 8x8 Contact Center automatically sets your status to Available.
Note: The 8x8 Professional Services team may provide customization for disposition codes.
What is the screen pop behavior for WhatsApp interactions?
When a WhatsApp interaction is offered, the 8x8 Contact Center integration app searches the Salesforce CRM for a matching phone number. The number of matching records is displayed in the call panel and in the customer’s avatar after accepting the interaction.
Depending on the situation, the search could return:
- No matching records: The search yields no results for the customer and the CRM screen pops a New Case tab for you to fill in with relevant information.
- A single matching record: The search yields a single matching record and screen pops the customer information. After the interaction ends, a chat log pops in a new tab. The log is saved as a task in Salesforce.
- Multiple matching records: If the search yields multiple search results there is no screen pop. In this case, you need to click the avatar and manually select the customer record to link the new case to. Select the correct customer from the list, and click to return to the interaction in the 8x8 Contact Center app panel. By default, the CRM matches the case to the first match in the list. After the interaction ends, a chat log pops in a new tab. The log is saved as a task in Salesforce.
Handling multiple WhatsApp interactions
8x8 Contact Center agents can handle multiple WhatsApp interactions at the same time. Depending on the allowed number of concurrent interactions set by the admin, interaction requests continue to be offered to the agent until they reach the maximum allowed customer interactions. If necessary, agents can select the Stop new option from the 8x8 Contact Center app to prevent them from receiving new customer interactions.
When a new WhatsApp interaction is offered, a notification appears indicating an incoming chat request. The interaction icons display on the left side of the 8x8 Contact Center app and are listed in the order they were received, with the oldest interaction being displayed at the top. Select the desired icon to reply to the interaction.
To ensure you are replying to customers in a timely manner, the icons may display the following visual alerts:
What happens to the response from the customer?
If the agent ends the conversation before the customer responds, and the customer sends another message, the reply message gets routed to the same channel and gets delivered to an agent assigned to the WhatsApp queue. Note that the same agent who replied to the message may not receive the customer response unless the queue is dedicated to the agent.