You are here: Sending SMS in Virtual Office Desktop
Send instant text messages from your business phone number to clients, personal contacts, and co-workers using SMS and IM services from 8x8 Virtual Office.
- To send messages to company contacts on the same 8x8 PBX, use the Instant Messaging (IM) service.
- To send messages to personal contacts outside your 8x8 PBX, use the Short Messaging Service (SMS).
- Text seamlessly between Virtual Office clients, and exchange SMS messages with external numbers.
- Send and receive IM to company contacts.
- Send and receive SMS to personal contacts with US phone numbers.
- Send or access messages from the Virtual Office online app or the Virtual Office mobile app.
- If you are logged in to the Virtual Office mobile app on your device, your device displays a notification to notify you of a new Virtual Office message.
- See contact presence from the Messages tab.
- Access your message history with your contacts.
- Create a new contact from a phone number.
- Does not support group SMS.
- Does not support multimedia-based messages. Restricted to text only.
- Limited to sending messages to numbers within only the United States.
- SMS is only supported on Virtual Office Unlimited and Global extensions with United States phone numbers. Metered and Virtual extensions cannot send SMS.
How do I send messages in the Virtual Office online app?
In the Virtual Office online app, you can send messages to existing personal contacts or to new phone numbers with just a couple of clicks.
To send messages from the Contacts tab:
From the navigation menu, open the Contacts tab.
- Select a personal contact from the directory, and click .
Click below the navigation menu.
You are prompted to enter a contact name or a phone number.
- Enter a name or phone number of an existing contact or enter new phone number.
The Virtual Office Messages window pops up.
- Compose the message, and send.
How do I access IM and SMS history?
- From the navigation menu, open the History tab.
- Scroll through the list of your previous IM and SMS messages.
- Click in the list to open the IM history window.
- To load more past messages in the conversation with the contact, scroll up in the window.
For detailed FAQ on IM and SMS services, click here.
To learn about disabling SMS and IM services for your PBX, click here.
Open topic with navigation