You are here: What's New?
Virtual Office Desktop App 5.0 - What's New?
Version 5.0 of the Virtual Office desktop app is here! Take advantage of brand-new features and a new streamlined interface.
For the latest release updates, check out the Release Notes.
To download version 5.0 of the Virtual Office desktop app, click here.
New IM and SMS interface: Enjoy a smoother chat experience, and include emojis in messages.
Note: Spell check is disabled by default in the new chat view. To enable spell check, you must clear the Enable Beta Conversation View check box under Settings > Messages.
- For Virtual Office Meetings:
- Support for in-room video conference systems: Third-party in-room video conferencing support is available for HD video in Virtual Office meetings. This allows in-room system callers to join a Virtual Office meeting by simply dialing a SIP URI shared in the meeting email invitation.
Click here to view the supported in-room conference systems.
Note: For information on using your in-room conference systems, please refer to the manufacturer's instructions.
Note: In-room conference system callers cannot view or share screen content.
Known issue: If you join the meeting via in-room system before video is initiated in the meeting, you will be unable to join video. To join video, you must join the meeting after another meeting participant initiates video.
- Ability to record shared content within a meeting: You can now record shared content in a meeting for future reference, and access it later in MP4 format.
- Virtual Office Meetings: We have introduced the following enhancements for meetings.
- New and improved single-window user interface!
- Virtual Office Meetings preserves the last size of your content sharing window.
- The Participants tab of the meeting window shows who is speaking during a meeting (pending server update).
- You can now schedule Virtual Office meetings from the Google Calendar plug-in!
- Audio quality improvements
- Dutch and Spanish localization are available for Windows and Mac based on system language settings.
- Softphone-only mode available on demand, for better integration with unified communications services such as Skype for Business.
- Change of behavior: The Single Sign-On process for Okta and Centrify users now opens in a browser window instead of within the application.
- New Messages tab in the navigation menu offers easy access to your full message history.
History for Virtual Office meetings, phone calls, etc. is now found in the relevant tabs:
- Meetings for meeting history
- Phone for call history, call recordings, and voicemail
- Fax for faxes
- German language localization is available for Windows and Mac based on system language settings.
Option to enable calls to external numbers
in Virtual Office Meetings.
- Improved microphone and speaker selection behavior.
- The new Virtual Office Meetings is here. Experience rich collaborative features and HD audio and video during your meetings. Here are the highlights:
- New user experience: The new user interface breaks free from the single-window experience of the past. The meeting controls show up at the top of your computer screen. You can move the controls as desired.
- High-definition video and audio: Enjoy HD video and audio during meetings.
- Collaboration made easier: Previously, inviting participants was a host-only privilege. The new meeting allows participants to invite other participants, start a meeting, and share content. Hosts can disable this capability in Advanced Settings while scheduling a meeting.
- Say goodbye to selecting dial-in numbers manually: All dial-in numbers available for the user or company are automatically included in the email invitation. Participants have the flexibility to choose a local dial-in number based on their geographical location.
- Simplified meeting roles: We have simplified the meeting roles to host and participant. They share common privileges including the ability to start a meeting, share content, and invite participants. Privileges such as muting participants, blocking a participant from content sharing, and recording meeting audio continue to be host-only rights.
- Join meeting audio: Join the meeting audio using your computer’s audio system or any phone number you enter. Virtual Office Meetings is designed with high mobility in mind so that the user isn't restricted to a single place, device, or phone number while using their client.
- Content sharing open to all: Whether you are a host or guest, you can share content in the meeting. Ideal for collaborative teams, the new Virtual Office Meetings offers content sharing privileges to all meeting participants by default. The meeting host reserves the right to prevent a participant from sharing content.
- Access meeting log: After the meeting, access your meeting recordings, chat conversations that took place during the meeting, and more from the Past Meetings tab.
- Ability to use multiple monitors, with simultaneous video and content sharing.
- Schedule meetings from Microsoft Outlook with advanced meeting settings.
- French language localization (French and Canadian) is available for Windows and Mac based on system language settings.
- Outlook import now syncs contacts that do not have an email address.
- Ability to change Outbound Caller ID from the main Virtual Office desktop app screen and in the header area. Learn more.
- Shows a warning message when setting your status to Do not Disturb (DND). Learn more.
- Zero wait time in importing Global Address List (GAL) for 3000 plus Exchange contacts. The contacts are available via contact search feature to reduce import delay time. Learn more.
- Display the number of callers in the queue upon checking the status of a Call Queue. Learn more.
- Disable/enable Plantronics Headset Call Control. Learn more.
- Microsoft Skype for Business Call Integration (Beta feature): Ability to call a Skype for Business contact using the PSTN of the Virtual Office desktop app. Learn more.
Note: Ask your 8x8 representative for preview access of these Virtual Office desktop app Beta features.
Open topic with navigation