Add Line Appearance Keys
With 8x8 Line Appearance Keys (LAK), you can handle multiple concurrent calls. 8x8 phones have LAKs that handle calls for the user’s extension. By default, a user’s phone will have two LAKs to make it easier for a user to switch between two calls using the buttons on the phone. You can add up to four LAKs on the main phone device. This is the number of calls you can have active at any given time. You can add or remove the Line Appearance Keys from the Configuration Manager and push them to the phone device.
- Receive and handle multiple live calls at the same time.
- Support one to four default LAKs The number of LAKs depends on your phone. For example, Cisco devices support one LAK but four concurrent calls.
Cisco phones show one key on the left and four lines on the right when the key on the left is selected. Keys cannot be added or removed on Cisco phones.
Set up Line Appearance Keys
You can add a device that supports LAK keys, activate the device, and set up the LAK keys via the Users page.
To set up LAK keys:
- Go to Home > Users.
- Edit or create a user. See how to Add VO Users.
- Under Voice Basic Settings > Device model, select a device that supports line keys, and activate it. The Line key configuration link appears next to the device.
Note: The link only appears for devices that support Line Keys, such as VVX 300. Please refer to the list of 8x8 supported phones for Line Keys.
- Click Line Key configuration.
You find access to three types of keys: BLF key, Speed dial key, and Line appearance.
- Click + Line appearance. For Cisco devices that support only one LAK, you do not see the button to add more line appearance keys.
- Select Line appearance- user as the line key type. Upon exceeding the limit for line appearance keys (LAK), you are prevented from adding LAKs further. The + line appearance button is disabled.
- Click Save.
The LAK appears on the list with a green bar indicator. Hover over next to each key to drag and drop and rearrange the keys.You see the new LAK on your phone once you save the changes in the application.
- Click to Save the line appearance key.
- Click to Save the user.
The phone reboots automatically to show the updates. Your LAKs appear on the phone display, and give you the ability to handle multiple live calls.
Edit Line Appearance Keys
You can add, edit or delete LAKs from the Users or Devices pages.
To edit LAK keys from the Users page:
- Go to Home > Users.
- While editing a user, go to Voice Basic Settings > Device model > Line key configuration.
- Make the required changes and click Save. For models supporting two or more line appearances, allow deleting until you have one line appearance.
To edit LAK keys from the Devices inventory page:
You can now access information about which users have Line keys configured on their phone from the Device inventory page. For a quick and easy access to the Line Key configuration page and to edit it from the Devices inventory page:
- Go to Home > Devices.
- Find an activated device that supports Line Keys and is assigned to one. Click View device report.
- Click> next to the device that is configured with Line Keys.
Make the required changes and click Save.
Refer to the following frequently-asked questions for more information:
How do I identify a line key assignment using the phone interface?
With your phone in front of you, you can identify which Line Appearance Keys, BLF contacts, and speed dials are assigned to each line key on your sidecar from your VVX phone. It gives you the physical line key number. This is particularly useful for 40-key sidecars.
To identify line key assignments from a Polycom phone:
- Press to display the Home view.
- Go to Settings > Status > Line Key Information.
- Press a line key. The assignment and line number for the line key you pressed display on your phone screen.
- Press the line key twice to return to the previous menu, or tap or select Back.
How do I generate line key information for 40-key sidecars?
For 40-key sidecars, using the Polycom Web Configuration Utility, you can generate and download a PDF file with the configured line key information. The generated PDF enables you to print line key information for line keys on your sidecars, and insert the paper labels as a directory card on your 40-key sidecar.
To generate Line Key Information PDF:
- In your Internet browser, enter your phone's IP address into the browser's address bar.
- Log in as a user with the default password 123, and select Submit.
- Go to Utilities > EM Directory.
- Select the expansion module you want to generate a PDF for.
- In the confirmation dialog, select Yes to download the PDF for the configured lines for your expansion module.
- Go to Save > Open. The configured line key information for your sidecar displays as a PDF file.
- Download the PDF, print it, and insert it as the directory card template for the 40-key sidecar.
How do I organize the order of the line keys from Configuration Manager?
In Configuration Manager, you can easily organize the order of your line keys.
To reorder line keys:
- From the main menu in Configuration Manager, go to the Users page.
- Create a new user, or select a user to edit.
- Under Voice Basic Settings in the user settings, click Line Key Configuration next to the configured device.
- Drag and drop the keys in the desired location, and save. The updates appear on your phone device once it reboots.
Open topic with navigation