If your 8x8 Virtual Office extension uses only a softphone, you must log in to one of the following clients to handle calls:
- 8x8 Work desktop app
- 8x8 Work mobile app
Use the same credentials to log in to Virtual Office for Desk.com. If your Virtual Office extension is assigned with a desk phone, use the call control panel in the application to answer incoming and outgoing calls.
With the Virtual Office app, you can use additional call handling capabilities such as placing calls on hold, handling multiple calls, transferring calls, and recording calls.
When you receive a call, the call control panel pops indicating an inbound call. Click to accept on the call control panel. With an inbound call, the matching contact record may be presented to you based on the Screen Pop settings.
Note: If your extension uses a softphone, you must accept the call in the softphone client.
During an inbound call, the 8x8 Virtual Office app tracks if the caller is an existing user by searching the Desk.com contacts database. On finding a matching record, it presents the record for you to preview and prepare for the call. This process is commonly referred to as Screen Pop.
Based on your settings, the screen pop:
- can occur when a call is ringing
- can occur when a call is connected
- can be disabled
In the event of multiple matching contacts, the screen pop lists all matches in a table and prompts you to select the desired record.
While on an active call, you can place the call on hold. The other party listens to music while on hold.
To hold and resume calls:
With multiple line calling, the app allows you to add a call, switch between calls, and conference multiple calls.
Note: The ability to make additional calls depends on how your Virtual Office extension is set up.
Enter the number to call and click Add Call. Accept the first leg of the outbound call to dial out.
To add a call and merge calls:
Note: You can converse with the 3rd party before merging the calls in to a 3 way-conference.
- When the second call is established, merge the calls by clicking from the call control panel of the last call added.
- At the prompt, select which call to merge if you have more then 1 additional call added.
- Upon merging 2 calls, the first call will end since it is now merged with the 2nd call in a conference.
- The call control panel now shows Party Added on Line 2 when the calls are merged.
You have the flexibility to record calls on demand during a call. You can initiate, stop, and resume recording any number of times during a call.
Note: Call recording is available based on your subscription.
To access call recordings:
- Log in to the 8x8 Work desktop app.
- Navigate to More > Call Recordings. A list of call recordings shows.
- From the list of call recordings, choose a recording, and click to play.
- You can also download, forward, or delete the call recording.
You can transfer a live call to another Virtual Office extension or another phone number.
To transfer calls: