8x8 Contact Center has improved call handling capability via Phone Connection Mode. With this feature, agents set up their voice connection before they start working on calls and remain connected throughout their working day. It allows them to respond to incoming and outbound phone calls with a simple click on the user interface improving their call handling efficiency.
8x8 Contact Center administrators can choose one of the following Phone Connection Modes in 8x8 Configuration Manager for agents:
- On Demand: On Demand Connection Mode creates a temporary connection from the agent’s workplace phone to the system. The agents have to manually accept the call in their soft or hard phone.
- Persistent: Previously referred to as off-Hook Connection Mode, Persistent Connection Mode creates a constant connection from the agent’s workplace phone to the system. Once the connection is open, it will stay active until logged out. Any changes to the setting will remain in effect for the whole duration of the agent’s Persistent connection. Agents set up their voice connection before they start working on calls and remain connected throughout their working day. It allows them to respond to incoming and outbound phone calls with a simple click on the user interface, improving their call handling efficiency.
The Off-hook connection mode that was first introduced in 9.8 has been renamed to Persistent Connection Mode. There is no change to the functionality, just to the naming of the feature.
About Persistent Connection Mode
Without the Persistent Connection Mode, after agents log in to 8x8 Contact Center and make themselves available, they have to accept the interaction for every call that comes through the queue. If they miss the ringing phone, they will no longer be available to take the interaction.
Note: There is no audio prompt or audio indication for Persistent Connection Mode.
- Agents can immediately and seamlessly connect to customers.
- Offers a persistent connection from the agent's device to VCC that is ready for outbound dialing.
- Removes the need to connect the agent's workplace phone for every call handled.
- Increases productivity from a higher throughput of calls.
Enable Persistent Connection Mode
If Persistent Connection Mode is provisioned for your tenant, you can enable at the tenant, agent group, or the agent level:
- In 8x8 Configuration Manager, go to Home > Profile.
- Select Persistent under Phone Connection Mode. It makes the Persistent Connection Mode available for all agents in that tenant.
Reset all allows you to standardize the default connection mode when there are different settings for this feature within the tenant, for agents and agent groups.
- Select Allow Agents to Change Phone Connection Mode. Agents are able to change their connection mode from within the 8x8 Agent Console.
Reset all allows you to reset all agents and agent groups to the tenant setting.
- Click Save.
Note: The Reset all button shows when there are a mixture of settings for that mode or option at the Tenant level.
- In 8x8 Configuration Manager, go to Agent Groups from the main menu.
- Click to edit or create a new agent group.
- Select Persistent under Phone Connection Mode.
Reset all agents allows you to standardize the default connection mode for all agents when there are different settings for it within the agent group. For example, you see Reset all if you have enabled agents to choose their mode. Reset all is not available when all settings are the same.
- Select Allow Agents to Change Phone Connection Mode if you want to enable all agents at the agent group to change their connection mode.
Note: The Reset all agents button only shows when there are a mixture of settings for that mode or option within the Agent Group.
Auto Answer can be combined with the Persistent feature to create an on/off combination of the two features. Auto Answer settings combined with Persistent can be configured at multiple levels depending on the features availability:
|Persistent Off, Auto Answer Off||Phone Connection Mode is On Demand and Auto Answer is off, so the agent needs to answer the phone for every phone interaction.|
|Persistent Off, Auto Answer On||Phone Connection Mode is On Demand and Auto Answer is on, so the agent phone automatically connects, and the interaction is auto answered when offered.|
|Persistent On, Auto Answer Off||Phone Connection Mode is Persistent, so the agent media path is always connected but for every phone interaction the agent needs to click the Accept button.|
|Persistent On, Auto Answer On||Phone Connection Mode is Persistent, so the agent media path is always connected, and the interaction is automatically answered when offered.|