You are here: Prepare Your Network
Overview: 8x8 Network Utility 2.2
The 8x8 Network Utility is a suite of tests that runs on your computer to diagnose your network and connectivity to 8x8 data centers. This helps to collect all the test results we need to assess your connectivity to 8x8. To better understand the firewall and router configurations that 8x8 services may require, please refer to our technical requirements for X Series, as well as requirements specific to Virtual Contact Center. The tests include:
- DNS test: Run a series of SRV and A-type queries to verify DNS functionality.
- Ping test: Send out a ping to each of the data centers to provide baseline information about connectivity to the data center.
- HTTP/HTTPS test: Check for HTTP and HTTPS connectivity (ports).
- NTP: Check the ability to sync with NTP servers.
- Outbound connectivity: Check for a range of ports that are required for 8x8 services (note that ports for Virtual Contact Center are a subset of the ports required for Virtual Office).
- NAT: Understand the type of NAT implemented at your location.
- System info: View detailed information on the machine that is running the test.
- ALG: Check for the ALG settings on your edge firewall.
- Media test: Simulate VoIP calls and provide call metrics.
- Fragmentation test: Check if the route supports fragmentation.
- Traceroute test: Trace the route to the Geo-Routed data center.
- Bandwidth test: Approximate your bandwidth availability.
- Bufferbloat test: Test for a condition known as bufferbloat, which occurs in some access points and routers when network equipment buffers too much data.
There are two parts to the test. First, you must run a baseline test to provide information about ports, ALG, and connectivity. Next, you run a monitoring test (which runs a media test multiple times) to simulate a VoIP call and allow 8x8 network engineers to know what voice quality to expect once an actual telephone is deployed.
Prepare Your Network
We suggest that you prepare your setup in order to run the 8x8 Network Utility and gather the most effective results:
- Connect the device that runs the 8x8 Network Utility to the network via Ethernet cord. If you are using the Virtual Office desktop app or Virtual Office mobile app on Wi-Fi, test the Wi-Fi as well.
- If you run the tool from a virtual machine on a different operating system, make sure that there is no network address translation (NAT), port blockage, or packet manipulation between the virtual Network Interface Card (NIC) and the physical NIC.
- If you have a dedicated VLAN for your physical phones, make sure that the test is also run on the same VLAN.
- If you have a setup of physical phones and softphone-only extensions, make sure to test the respective VLANs.
- Make sure that the firewall is disabled, along with any other software that may block or manipulate traffic. You may need to:
- Disable any VPN connections.
- Disable any endpoint security.
Note: Proxy servers are not supported by the 8x8 Network Utility. If proxy servers are in use at your location, please add a rule to your proxy server that any outbound traffic to 8x8 data centers can bypass the proxy server. For a list of 8x8 data centers and their locations, please refer to 8x8 technical requirements for X Series. If possible, create a dedicated VLAN for your voice traffic, and allow the new VLAN to bypass the proxy server.
Open topic with navigation